Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glennster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Canada
What happens when I block a number on my iPhone? Does it go directly to voicemail or even blocks the ability for the person to leave a voicemail?

Is there a way to put phone calls only on do not disturb but still get text msgs and email notifications as normal?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No. You cannot block calls but not text.
The call goes to voicemail but the receiving person never gets a notification for it and cannot go in and listen to the voicemail.
It's as if they never called or left a message.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No. You cannot block calls but not text.
The call goes to voicemail but the receiving person never gets a notification for it and cannot go in and listen to the voicemail.
It's as if they never called or left a message.
There's no notification but as I recall there's a way to access these messages in voicemail (they are there in a special section/folder there).
[doublepost=1484499701][/doublepost]
What happens when I block a number on my iPhone? Does it go directly to voicemail or even blocks the ability for the person to leave a voicemail?

Is there a way to put phone calls only on do not disturb but still get text msgs and email notifications as normal?
Texts and calls are tied together as far as blocking goes. Emails are separate so those can still come through even if calls/texts are blocked. Another option is to set a silent ringtone for a contact for calls so it's not really blocked and just calls don't make a sound (although they will still show up).

Reactions: Applejuiced

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a contact labeled "Blocked Caller" to which I assign numbers I do not wish to hear ring my phone.

The contact has a silent ringtone. The phone may light up but I don't hear anything. At least when I am stock.

There are other ways jailbroken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.