Blocking proxies

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by markgodley, May 30, 2009.

1. markgodley macrumors regular

Hey,

To cut a long story short my site is getting crippled by fraud.

I have a site that is digital delivery which is automated. But im having problems with people using fraudulent cards. Im blocking their IP's but they are simply coming back to the site using proxies.

Is there a way to stock proxies? or anything i can do to reduce them.

I know some company's such as AOL use proxies and dont want to block them.

thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Even if you could, I doubt it would help. There's malicious types everywhere in the world and they're constantly coming up with ways to attack sites like yours. You would also be blocking legitimate users who are on proxies. Proper security and validations is the best you can do.

3. markgodley thread starter macrumors regular

What kind of security and validations? Im using google checkout which is quiet good at stopping fraudulent cards but arnt stopping every payment

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, I don't know how your site is setup so can't really give much specific guidance. Though, with using a 3rd party checkout system does limit how much you have to check on (which is good). I haven't worked on any check out systems so don't have any specific material to link to, but I would be sure to Google around and read up on validation of checkouts and finding any security guidance that applies to all levels of your setup to see if you can reduce the fraudulent attempts.