Blocking text message from Android - still charged?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjny, Mar 25, 2016.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I want to block text messages on ios 9.3 from someone who sends group messages to my ATT iphone 6s+. Since they have Android or dumb phone I am getting charged due to overages on my text plan.

If I set "block this caller" in my contacts are the texts being rejected and not count towards my total text messages? Or is iphone just deleting incoming text messages but ATT is adding 1 text message to my total count for each time this person sends?

i have a 200 text message plan and only reserve it for emergencies for green bubble friends. Most of the people I know use imessage.

Thanks.

2. kerrikins macrumors 65816

A setting on your phone doesn't block the message to the network, so you would still get charged. Does AT&T offer anything that allows you to block at a network level just one specific person? If not, you may want to just block texts entirely and tell people to iMessage/Whatsapp/Facebook message you until the person stops messaging you that way.

Or you could talk to them and ask them to stop. :p

3. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Such BS that in the USA you get charged for incoming text messages.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

That's pretty rare with current plans, IIRC. Usually when you hear "AT&T/iPhone/200 message text limit", it's in reference to someone whose holding on to one of the original iPhone plans from back in 2007/2008.

5. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Already asked person to stop sending those annoying group "inspirational" texts that only serve to piss you off lol. I also get mobile spam and trying to block those too. Thanks.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'd check with your carrier and see if that number can be blocked through them--usually you can do it via your account on their web site, or you can contact them directly and they can likely help you out.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Contact ATT. They can put a block in for you if.you deem it harassment. Won't charge you for that.

8. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

Yup, I'd call att and report it as harassment, and they should work with you on it.

If that doesn't resolve it as a last resort depending on your relationship with the sender. I'd contact them again and advise them if they don't stop you will file telecommunications harassment charges. If there is such laws where you live.

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Was still BS back then.

Here in Australia we have never been charged for receiving messages or calls unless the call is operator connected via a reverse charge service and the recipient consents (i.e., "hi, xxx is calling you reverse charge, do you accept?" before the calling party is connected).

We do get (and always have been getting) screwed on data though.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I thought text messages were pretty well free for everyone.

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW.

12. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

Why oh why are US carriers still limiting text messages so much? They are tiny, super tiny and practically lost in the background noise of data etc. Most mainstream contracts in the UK offer "all you can eat" text messages or such large free amounts (3000, 5000 etc) as to be practically unlimited. Even PAYG deals have pretty high numbers of bundled texts now.

A

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's mostly like that in US as well those days.