Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
I want to be able to block unwanted text messages. So I went to a site that was suggested on YouTube called Easy Filter. The only problem is that when I went to the website and tried looking for the app, they have every kind, except the one that I'm looking for. Why does the link advertise the app for iPhones and then not have the app? Would anyone here happen to know what the direct download to the Easy Filter is? I'm using an iPhone G4. I'd be much obliged!

I

iBar

I want to be able to block unwanted text messages. So I went to a site that was suggested on YouTube called Easy Filter. The only problem is that when I went to the website and tried looking for the app, they have every kind, except the one that I'm looking for. Why does the link advertise the app for iPhones and then not have the app? Would anyone here happen to know what the direct download to the Easy Filter is? I'm using an iPhone G4. I'd be much obliged!

iBlacklist works perfectly. You can block with all sorts of options.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
iBlacklist works perfectly. You can block with all sorts of options.

Yes, I read about this Blacklist, but you have to jailbreak your iPhone in order for it to work, don't you? Thank you for your response.

I

iBar

Yes, I read about this Blacklist, but you have to jailbreak your iPhone in order for it to work, don't you? Thank you for your response.

Yea, sorry i just assumed because you posted in the iPhone Hacks section...If you are on verizon you can go online and block a specific number for 90 days I think. Other than that I don't know.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
Yea, sorry i just assumed because you posted in the iPhone Hacks section...If you are on verizon you can go online and block a specific number for 90 days I think. Other than that I don't know.

No, unfortunately I'm on AT&T. Thanx.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010

iBlacklist is why I still jailbreak. It's worth the trouble. It manages things completely seamlessly, and excellently, in a way that nothing else seems to do.

The only thing I would criticize is that it's not necessarily intuitive. Don't install it at a moment that you don't have the time to fool with it. You have to think about what you are doing with it, and have the time to check all the many settings and configurations.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
+1 on iBlacklist. It also is one of the main reasons I jailbreak my phone.

I wish there were a way to get the functionality that Mr. Number has where it goes and queries a caller ID database of spammers/robocallers before letting a number through.

Now, this is one thing Apple needs to address. iOS 6 and going into do not disturb mode helps, but isn't really a solution.

Oh, and be careful of non-jailbroken apps. None of them can actively block calls. Some of them might just spit out "blocked" to the screen and foul up your contact list. You will see it in the numerous one-star reviews.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
iBlacklist is why I still jailbreak. It's worth the trouble.

Same reason I jailbreak also since AT&T wants $'s/mo to use their blocking service. I like how it keeps a history of my blocked calls. It's funny how tele-marketers have several similar numbers they use to try to bypass the block before they give up calling.:p

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA

I wish there were a way to get the functionality that Mr. Number has where it goes and queries a caller ID database of spammers/robocallers before letting a number through.

Now, this is one thing Apple needs to address. iOS 6 and going into do not disturb mode helps, but isn't really a solution.

Oh, and be careful of non-jailbroken apps. None of them can actively block calls. Some of them might just spit out "blocked" to the screen and foul up your contact list. You will see it in the numerous one-star reviews.

No, I don't plan to do any jailbreaking. First, I feel very intimidated by it, since you have to know what you're doing and second, my iPhone would no longer be under warranty if did jb it and I don't need that! Thanx for the advice.

----------

Thank you all for your feedback! It has helped. Have a great day!

P.S. The one thing AT&T fails to mention is that creating a different account to be able to block TMs, will cost. I wasn't aware of that. Thought that if I already had an account with them, all I had to do was create the account to acquire this feature.

OCICILIONI

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2011
Orlando, FL
re: blocking texts

Rather than being able to block texts, it would be nice to be able to send an automated response like you can do with email.

Possible automatic responses could be, "Thank you for contacting me, but I am currently on vacation and in my absence please call...."

Or "I am currently driving my vehicle and I am unable to respond to text messages or phone calls. I will respond to your message when I am no longer driving and it is safe to do so."

Anyone have any idea of such an app exists for this yet?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
No, I don't plan to do any jailbreaking. First, I feel very intimidated by it, since you have to know what you're doing and second, my iPhone would no longer be under warranty if did jb it and I don't need that! Thanx for the advice.

----------

Thank you all for your feedback! It has helped. Have a great day!

P.S. The one thing AT&T fails to mention is that creating a different account to be able to block TMs, will cost. I wasn't aware of that. Thought that if I already had an account with them, all I had to do was create the account to acquire this feature.

FYI jailbreaking is a matter of connecting your phone via the cable to computer and running some software which consists of clicking just one button. Second, while a jailbroken phone voids the apple warranty, all you need to do is restore it via iTunes to factory settings and apple can not detect it was jailbroken so in the end you did not void the warranty lol.

I'm just mentioning these two points in case you ever did want to try using a jailbroken phone and use an app like iBlackList. For a long time I would not let my friends talk me into jailbreaking for some of the same reasons. But once I finally actually jailbroke, I never went back to stock lol.

Have a great day!

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
FYI jailbreaking is a matter of connecting your phone via the cable to computer and running some software which consists of clicking just one button. Second, while a jailbroken phone voids the apple warranty, all you need to do is restore it via iTunes to factory settings and apple can not detect it was jailbroken so in the end you did not void the warranty lol.

I'm just mentioning these two points in case you ever did want to try using a jailbroken phone and use an app like iBlackList. For a long time I would not let my friends talk me into jailbreaking for some of the same reasons. But once I finally actually jailbroke, I never went back to stock lol.

Have a great day!

Bumpy is absolutely correct and said everything I was about to.

I, too, jailbreak for the use of iBlacklist. I was getting two to three calls per day from a few different numbers (most days my call history was completely red from avoiding these spammers) and AT&T offered nothing other than changing my number.

There is absolutely no reason to be intimidated by jailbreaking. Of course you have to know what you're doing but there's not much to it.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Rather than being able to block texts, it would be nice to be able to send an automated response like you can do with email.

Possible automatic responses could be, "Thank you for contacting me, but I am currently on vacation and in my absence please call...."

Or "I am currently driving my vehicle and I am unable to respond to text messages or phone calls. I will respond to your message when I am no longer driving and it is safe to do so."

Anyone have any idea of such an app exists for this yet?

Some functionality similar to this will be in iOS 6. However, it would be nice if Apple would go the distance and have blacklists.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
Some functionality similar to this will be in iOS 6. However, it would be nice if Apple would go the distance and have blacklists.

Guess there is no need to have blacklists or create an account with AT&T for blocking unwanted TMs or unwanted calls. iOS7 now includes this feature on the cellphones! Long time overdue, but finally done! What a thriller it is to be able to BLOCK pesky people and spammers!

lanceuppercut47

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2013
Guess there is no need to have blacklists or create an account with AT&T for blocking unwanted TMs or unwanted calls. iOS7 now includes this feature on the cellphones! Long time overdue, but finally done! What a thriller it is to be able to BLOCK pesky people and spammers!

Not quite, it's still not as good as iBlacklist for me, as iOS7 requires you to block a call once they've gotten through. As I tend to get cold callers on random numbers, it's useless against that.

iBlacklist lets me block numbers outside of my address book, which I'm perfectly fine with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.