Blocking unknown contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by citivolus, Nov 15, 2014.

1. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to block text messages from someone who is not in my contacts?

2. capuzino macrumors regular

If you've got a phone call from the number, just go to Phone App, click the info button next to the number, scroll down and press "Block contact".

Other way (if you've got just messages) go to Messages app, tap contact (upper right corner in the conversation window), then the info button and from the end of that page "Block contact".

3. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but the problem is my mom is being spammed by random people on her iPhone and she is confused thinking she knows them. So I want to block all messages from anyone who is not in her contact list, nit just one number.

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I don't there is a way. Maybe, change her number and start fresh.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Not knowing what carrier she's on maybe this will help someone. AT&T allows you to block certain types of messages, e.g., sent as an e-mail (typically done by spammers / scammers) at this link.

att.PNG

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Yep, I got a friend who had to change her number after months of prank and spam calls 24 hours a day. She changed her number and wished she had done it sooner.

ATT looked at her call logs and saw the trouble she was having and changed the number at no charge.

7. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all for the suggestions--she's on Sprint.

Tbh I'm surprised this functionality doesn't seem to exist. It seems incredibly easy to implement and I imagine would be useful to many people. Bummer.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am also surprised that Apple does not give an option to block all calls unless in one's contacts.

9. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Many potential problems with this kind of feature. What if you were to call your mom from a phone not typically associated with you. What if you were borrowing someone's phone? Perhaps your work phone is on a digital system that calls out using a different number. Or what if you got arrested and only had one call? #

10. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

As someone who has jailbroken for years specifically for the ability to only receive calls from my contacts, I've heard this argument before, and it never fails to make me laugh. People from any of the last four generations know how to leave voicemail, and remarkably, if they actually need to reach you, they'll leave you a message. The phone doesn't just receive calls, it's capable of making them too, so I can call them back. (Or better yet, they send me a text, because they know I'll respond faster.)

Those who know me know that if you only have one call, don't waste it on me. You either need a lawyer or a bail bondsman, and I am neither. :D

11. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I have been out of the jailbreak loop a while, but I think CallBlocker had this functionality.

13. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I use iBlacklist, which has been updated recently for 8.1. You can block calls, texts, and FaceTime with it. It's silly to have to jailbreak to get what should be stock functionality, but that's the way it is...and not just for a decent whitelist/blacklist setup.

Blocking texts from all non contacts is actually more difficult than calls if you aren't jailbroken. With calls, you have a few more options. If one doesn't care about notifications, you can set Do Not Disturb to allow calls from contacts only, and just leave that on 24x7. The problem is, that blocks basically ALL other app notifications, which isn't a viable option for most people. As I understand it, you can also forward your number to Google Voice, and set that up to only allow calls through from your contacts to your phone. (I *think* this can be done for texts too, but I'm not certain.) In the tips & tricks section of this forum, there's a current thread on using a silent ringtone to help filter out calls from contacts only by using audible ringtones for contacts and a silent tone for your default. If the phone doesn't actually "ring", presumably that's the sign to just let it roll to voicemail.

For me, it's easier to just jailbreak the phone, but I understand that's not the preferred option for a lot of people.

14. Kuwait macrumors member

Kuwait

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

What if you got hit by a meteor?:eek:

I guess as Apple has not seen fit to give us this, we do not need it. I am glad they made these choices for me as I am so stupid i can't.

Sound familiar?

16. Winona Northdakota, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Blocking unknown contacts

Blocking phone numbers can be done. Blocking unknown phone numbers can't. If you don't want to receive phone calls, don't get a phone number. Regarding phone calls from people you know, set up their contact info in your address book and only answer those calls. Don't answer calls from people not on your list. Problem solved. It is really not that difficult. Get an unlisted number and don't give it out to strangers. Time to put on your big boy pants and take responsibility.

Set up or manually turn on "Do not Disturb". Allow only calls from a certain list or from Contacts. Problem solved.