Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
This isn't quite a Mac problem but I'm sure some have had the same issue so...

Earlier today I got a message from a random person that I've never seen before and he started to chat and wanted to be my friend, whatever that means. There was also some crude flirting (mostly with the word "cutie") but overall it was just annoying. I think he's mostly harmless but I've had bad experiences with this sort of thing online before and I have no desire to let this escalate. I'm using Gaim on my work PC and I've hit the Block button a number of times but he keeps getting through. I'm hoping the function has a bug, I'd hate to think that he was bypassing it but I'm not sure. If there some back way I can go about doing this like through AOL's servers or something? Or is it all client based?

Thanx,

-Ani

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
If you block someone on one computer, such as blocking someone via iChat it should carry over to any other program, assuming you are using the same AOL screename.

at least it is that way for me.

However if i am horribly wrong just read my signature.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Try blocking him from the vanilla AIM client or through iChat. The block command should stick to your profile on the AIM servers and propogate through to all of your clients.

Additionally, you could set the clients to only allow folks on your buddy lists to contact you, thus negating the need to ever block anyone.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Crap, it didn't work. :( He got through again. I'll experiment more when I get home, this is my work computer so I don't want to mess around with it too much...

I'm reluctant for a buddy-only list though, there's some people I talk to on a semi-regular basis weren't on it before so I'd like to keep that option off for now.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
you could just ignore him couldn't you?

I know on some programs such as adium there is an ignore feature where they will be on your buddy list however you wont see any messages sent by them.

Last time i checked the ignore feature was only prevalent in adium and as long as you didn't quit the program

Or just ignore him by not replying

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.