blocking World of Warcraft?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by juice831, Mar 14, 2009.

1. juice831 macrumors member

Hi, I'm tired of my brother getting terrible grades, not doing anything, and complaining about lagging all the time so how can I go about blocking world of warcraft from our network? I have a time capsule and found out that WoW uses port 3724 but that's all i know... If it can't be done with the network then how would I be able to block it on his computer without him being able to fix it with just a reinstall? (he has a PC) Thank you in advance!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Downgrade to dial-up, or a value cable/DSL service. :p

Unless you are willing to update to a managed router or a hardware firewall, either with parental controls it'll be tough.

4. juice831 thread starter macrumors member

my entire family has tried talking to him haha... he just doesn't budge. would it be easier to block the port or game on his windows pc instead of the network?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

go into the router and block that port

or

go into the router and block access to his computer connecting to internet for cerain time periods

just a thought

6. juice831 thread starter macrumors member

thanks but the time capsule doesn't seem to have those settings...

7. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

You don't seem to realize that by blocking it, you're only going to make things worse.

Also, why aren't your parents doing something? Limit his playtime and add more time the better he does in school. Positive reinforcement works for something addictive like WoW.

8. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I'm not familiar with the TC but if it doesn't have those settings you could block it in the Mac's firewall, or try uninstalling WoW then make the administrator password something your brother doesn't know so he can't reinstall it.

9. Smacky macrumors 6502

10. Bullox macrumors newbie

Go onto wow-europe.com-->account management-->log in--> parental controls--> limit his play time and set custom password to change this. Done!

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get his password. Give away all his items, delete all his characters, and then delete the account.

12. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

The kid will go enraged (No WoW put intended... ok maybe a little.) and really get pissed off. That's not the answer to things. Block the 3724 port, it work's I tested it about 6 months to a year ago ago when I used to play.