Blog App Rejected

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by newtoiphonesdk, Jun 23, 2011.

1. newtoiphonesdk macrumors 6502a

My latest blog style app got rejected for violating 12.3 stating that apps that display web clippings or are content aggregators, may be rejected. This was a blog app. Parses the rss, shows articles in tableview, and when you click it opens a webview and has ShareKit dropped in for Twitter Facebook and email sharing. Also had the writer's Facebook and Twitter page, as well as biographical information and ability to email within the app.

How does that differ from what Engadget, TUAW, Modmyi, and the countless other blog apps out there? How does it differ from even one of my previous released blog apps that they just approved an update on 2 days earlier; JeffAJenkins.com, Thoughts From the Mound?

This review process makes no sense sometimes.

2. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Apple seems to be clamping down even more on apps which they believe offer not much more functionality than a web app.

The advantages that those other apps have is that they are mainly 'big name' apps - and also the fact that they were submitted to the store some time back - way before Apple started tightening up so much on submissions.

If you really want your app in the store, the only option you have now is giving your app some additional functionality over and above what can be achived via a typical web app...

RTP.

3. newtoiphonesdk thread starter macrumors 6502a

My biggie is that recently Ive submitted similar apps to this one that had no problem, and suddenly this one gets rejected, when in my opinion, it has more functionality than some of my previously approved apps.

4. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

It's unfortunate, but I guess it depends on the discretion of the individual that reviewed your app - some will get past certain reviewers and some won't :(

RTP.

5. nickculbertson macrumors regular

nickculbertson

In my experience, once an app has been rejected it is even more difficult to get it excepted the second time around.

6. newtoiphonesdk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Filed appeal with app review board Wednesday and still haven't heard back.

7. newtoiphonesdk thread starter macrumors 6502a

How to get a blog app accepted?

A few weeks ago I submitted an app. It parsed an RSS into a tableview, when the cell is selected it opened a detail controller with a webview of the specific article. It had ShareKit implemented to Tweet, facebook, and email. It also had information on the writer of the blog, and you could email him within the app. My app got rejected for 12.3 due to web clippings content aggregators and the iOS experience not being unique enough from a web browser experience. I appealed it, and after another week, they still rejected it. They did not want to talk about the decision, they did not want to hear about other apps that do the same thing in the AppStore, some of which even I have written. My question is, how do you get these approved?

For example, look at the Modmyi app. The update just got approved yesterday. It is one view with a tableview that parses an RSS for a forum, when you click on a cell you can read the article. You can email the article, or copy the URL, but can not even share it to Facebook or Twitter within the app. And that is it, that is all it does. How does that get approved, but mine does not have a unique enough iOS experience?????????

8. dantastic macrumors 6502

dantastic

Ok, so you're outlining all the reasons why this app is the same as countless others. But why is it unique enough to deserve a spot on the App Store?

At one time there were plenty of flash lights and fart apps but you will have a very hard time trying to get one of them into the store these days.

Does your app offer something no other app can do or is it just another fart app?

9. OXOCube75 macrumors newbie

I had my first app rejected (was a movie companion app) even though it had web view functionality, live blog feeds (through xml parsing). In the end I asked for a more detailed explanation and I did get a response that they were not happy with using table views for most of the app. Changed that up a little and they approved it.

Hope you get as good feedback as I did upon review.

10. firewood macrumors 604

Try resubmitting the app clearly emphasizing several useful features that no web clipping app can do. If you can't, add some capability.

The early bird gets the worm.

Apple often accepts marginally useful or rule compliant apps until the number hits some critical mass (e.g. customers have seen enough and are providing that feedback to Apple). Then Apple cracks down.

If you have an app that might be marginal according to some rule, make sure your app is one of the first of its type (but maybe not the very first) submitted the app store. Otherwise it could be a bad gamble.