Blog, personal webpage or what?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Oct 31, 2018.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking about creating a casual little web "nook" for my creative writing past and present, and thoughts related to creative stuff in general. (I would want this to be a separate thing from my current marketing-writing website and blog.)

I created a Blogger blog and have started drafting individual rants, old bits of fiction, etc. as posts. But before I hit the "publish" button, I'm now wondering whether it would be worth it to put together a very basic homepage or mini-website instead (using Google Sites etc.) I could then attach the already-populated blog to it at some point. And tweet links to updates, etc.

What do you think? Use the site as a permanent portfolio collection, and the blog to throw the spotlight onto individual items? Or I guess the compromise strategy is to just add pages to the Blogger blog as needed to things out?

Any ideas welcome.

2. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

If you want a professional looking site and don't have knowledge about building a website, then you can check out Squarespace or similar service.
    https://www.squarespace.com/

I have a self-built personal custom website with a purchased domain and hosting. It's definitely nice to have my little space on the Internet where I can showcase my work.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I use Wix for my domain, and Google Sites for school. Either are more than adequate for blogging and sharing your writing. Both are easy to use.

4. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like embedding a Blogger blog into the newest version of Google Sites is super-easy and requires no additional plug-ins or extensions, so I imagine I'll just go with that combo....

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Blogger is part of Google.

6. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm building a site in Google Sites right now,and i noticed that if I hit Publish, the site goes live as https://sites.google.com/[a bunch of other stuff] from Google Drive. So I guess my next step is to go over to someplace like Bluestar to purchase domain/hosting (unless I'm content with "sites.google.com" as my domain)? Then back to Sites to tie the new website to the new domain?

Pardon my ignorance. i rarely do this stuff.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

When you do your site, on your home page in the upper left it starts with "Untitled Site." If you name it here, your site can at least be sites.google.com/GanChanBlog, or whatever you name it.

8. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could I pretty easily migrate the site from sites.google.com/... to a dedicated domain later? Just do a redirect through the new host?