Blog Reader Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jason.weaver, Jun 2, 2009.

1. jason.weaver macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have always used Google Reader to keep up with my favorite blogs, but there are two things that I don't like:

1) Some posts are cut off after a paragraph or two, so I have to open up the actual page.

2) Like most readers, it just shows simple text and images on white -- losing the character of individual blogs.

So, I was wondering if there is a blog/feed reader for OS X that maintains your various blogs and the read/unread posts, but actually shows you the blog page (as it is designed) from withing the application (i.e. without opening it up in my web browser).

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your replies!
    Jason

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

On point one, that's generally controlled by the person who created the RSS feed, not Google. For instance, with Blogger the author can determine whether to show RSS feeds as Title only, short description (1st paragraph), or full article. Using a different feed reader won't change this.

3. jason.weaver thread starter macrumors newbie

angelwatt - I understand that the partial display of text is set up by the blogger, and that is one of the reasons that I want to see the post on its actual web page. If I see the post on its own site then it will be full length.

Peace - Thank you for the tip on NetNewsWire. It is a nice system, but it is not giving me the actual web page of the blog when I click on a post title. I must right click and then click to open the page, which is one more click than I need to do it in Google Reader (although that is all done in a web browser).

I am hoping that someone has made a blog reader app that shows the titles of your blogs, then shows you the posts when you select a blog, and then automatically shows the actual blog when you select the post.

Does anything like this exist, or am I just out of luck?

Thanks again,
    Jason

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...then you're entirely missing the point of a blog reader. The only way to get the full post (if the blogger has set only the excerpt to be shown in a reader) is to go to the blog in a browser.

No RSS-based reader does what you are describing. I suggest setting up in-browser RSS feeds and opening them in tabs.