Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
0,1425,sz=1&i=99836,00.jpg

CNET

Costly gift from Microsoft becomes invite to blog

By Maria Aspan
The New York Times
Published: January 1, 2007, 9:54 AM PST
TalkBack E-mail Print del.icio.us Digg this
In Microsoft's latest attempt to reach out to bloggers, the company recently gave away expensive laptops loaded with its new Windows Vista operating system.
But the gifts generated controversy as well as goodwill, as many in that community accused Microsoft of bribery and their peers of unethical behavior.
Several bloggers reported last week that they had received Acer Ferrari laptops, which can sell for more than $2,200, from Microsoft. A Microsoft representative confirmed on Friday that the company had sent out about 90 computers to bloggers who write about technology and other subjects (such as photography and, oddly, parenting) that could be affected by the new operating system.

But while those on Microsoft's mailing list initially greeted the machines with enthusiasm, many in the blogging community soon objected--and not only because they were left off the list--arguing that bloggers are bound by the same rules as traditional journalists, who should not accept expensive gifts from companies they cover.
Long Zheng, an Australian blogger who received one of the computers, had over 180 comments on his post about the computers, ranging from envy to disgust. "It's a bribe. Plain and simple," wrote one commenter.
Others disagreed. "Being provided an evaluation computer from Acer is not a ‘bribe,'" Blake Handler, a Los Angeles blogger who received a laptop and who plans to keep it, wrote in a comment to Zheng's original post. "It simply allows me to accelerate my evaluations, documentation and demonstrations of Windows Vista."
Microsoft has recently made several efforts to engage the technologically aware, and often anti-Microsoft, blogging community. After the criticisms of the laptop giveaway began, a Microsoft employee sent an e-mail message to some of the recipients, asking them to return or give away the machines when they were finished evaluating Vista. However, Microsoft's spokeswoman said in an e-mailed statement that the follow-up message had caused confusion, and that the bloggers were still welcome to keep the computers.
"Microsoft's official position is that once these bloggers are done experiencing the product, they can choose what they want to do with them," she said.
Entire contents, Copyright © 2006 The New York Times. All rights reserved.

Does this mean that mad jew will be getting a free MBP loaded with Leopard? :confused:

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
For some reason I thought it was a REAL Ferrari, like an Enzo or something. That little black box was a real dissapointment. And, no, I'd probably sell it

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wow that is cool imho. And btw it was that pc or my powerbook that I was on the fence about. I ended up with the PB and I do not have any regrets.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I have to say that the ferrari laptop is one of the most nicely equipped PC laptops on the market. One question: is the keyboard curved ergonomically or is that just lens distortion?

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
eh I see nothing wrong with this. Microsoft wants people to review/blog about the OS so they stick it in their hands. Yes it's on a laptop, but it's it is in M$'s best interest to present their new OS on ideal equipment. It's up to the responsible blogger to be true-full about what equipment their running it on.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I have to say that the ferrari laptop is one of the most nicely equipped PC laptops on the market. One question: is the keyboard curved ergonomically or is that just lens distortion?
I have to agree with you. The Ferrari is very nice. And yes, it's curved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.