Blogging on a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Future Blues, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Future Blues macrumors member

I'm going to start a blog soon and I was hoping the kind folks here would have some recommendations on making the process as painless as possible.

First off, sites. Wordpress is offering free space now right? How does their offering compare to Blogger, for instance? Are there other services I should be looking at? I don't really want to bother with hosting myself and I'm not worried about ad services just yet (once the blog is established I'll consider coming back and thinking about this). The reason I ask about services is because I'm hoping someone can recommend apps to use. I'm looking for something that's robust enough to handle some traffic, something that has RSS support, and something that's free.

I'm running Leopard and would like to know if there are any nice blogging platforms for OS X that I could take a look at. I don't mind logging into say, blogger and typing posts there but it would be a lot more convenient to be able to work on posts and content offline and upload it all later.

And, if there are any must-have applications for blogging and/or del.icio.us integration or whatever, that would be great to know about too!

2. hk8899 macrumors newbie

:confused::confused:
    Maybe IWEB would help you out if you are starting blogging.:D

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Yes iWeb and a .mac account is a fast way to a blog. As far as absolutely free goes, blogger is what I have used. I have never had one negative issue with blogger, and only one minor issue at .mac that was quickly fixed.

At this point I actually have blogs or podcasts on .mac, blogger and a paid host. For the latter I use web creation software from Sandvox. There is a lot of very inexpensive hosting out there and you can have a highly customized page and or blog going this route.

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I've also heard good things about MarsEdit as a blogging tool. I have not used it but their web page looks interesting.

5. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I always recommend getting a cheap host and just using something like WordPress.

6. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

There is a Firefox addon for blogs which is very good - ScribeFire.

7. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I'm a big MarsEdit fan, it has greatly increased the number of posts I've made since I started using it. It makes posting pretty darn simple.

8. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

If you want some easy to set up but still reasonably customizable, as others have said I would recommend Wordpress.com. Typepad is slightly more, but costs a lot more ($50/yr compared to free).

If you want to edit it without being online, MarsEdit seems to be the way to go. I'm connected most of the time, so I just post via the web.

9. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

10. live4ever macrumors 6502a