blogging questions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Jul 8, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For the bloggers here on macrumors.
    What do you use:
    stand alone apps + web host or web service like blogger, typepad or some other (which one)

I have my blog on movable type and a web host but I'm reconsidering this setup especially since the web host contract is ending shortly. Given that I'm on movable type, I'm looking at typepad because of the ease of transistion.

I'm not sure if how good/bad/great they are, so if anyone has any thoughts on typepad, please share them.

Thanks in advance.

2. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I just started my blog www.sensetechballfilm.blogspot.com. It's not really designed to get much traffic, I don't have huge ambitions for it. It's kind of just a place for me to write what I feel like.

I use Blogger and posterous (www.posterous.com) to make the posts. Posterous is a really great tool. I basically replied to this thread to tell you about posterous. I'm just amazed that it works so well. The only post you see on my blog was just an email I composed partly on my iPhone and partly on my computer with links to pictures and videos that they fill out, format, and post to all your subsribed services. Sending that email updated my blog, my twitter, and my facebook status (facebook status and twitter got auto-shortened URL's). Pretty cool.

3. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

I've used blogger since '05 and its been pretty dope. Just fwd it to my own domain and will be considering a host account. Check it out in my sig... :)

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm going the opposite which is why I'm questioning my move.
    my blog http://theologynow.net/ is on a webhost running movabletype yet I want to go to typepad and have a fully hosted service. The only downside I can see so far is that I'll lose control of taking backups of my blog.

The cost is less then what I'm paying for the host and I get more services. Unlike other blogging services there isn't a free option, so for the price you seem to get a lot of bang for your buck. True, I can probably do the leg work on a lot of it, but that takes time and effort and I think that's where I'm falling down.

5. cygni macrumors regular

cygni

For my WordPress blog, I use the platform with hosting company and my own www. But, that's because it is connected to a professional project - if it weren't I'd just use the WordPress site. I also have a Blogger account that I use, but that's just detailing my professional school experience/journey for others that may be thinking about making the commitment (a big deal as the resulting debt is the equivalent of one's first born child :p).

Another reason I built my WordPress blog off site is because I add google analytics code and adsense and a few other things, including a store, which WordPress doesn't allow on their .com.

6. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Have a look at Blogo. Its a nice piece of software

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I just use 100% Wordpress on OSX, or Windows Live Writer on XP. On my own hosting/domain thingymajig.

8. mak10 macrumors regular

Every blog I have ever ran is setup using Wordpress. It's really easy to setup and use, there are tons of plugins and themes to help you do pretty much anything you want with it. I host them all on my own dedicated server. I would highly recommend wordpress, and if you don't want to spend money on hosting you can get a free wordpress blog from wordpress.com