Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KatieDydde

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
One Thought

I don't know if this is circular reasoning, but are there any publications local to you that would welcome free submissions? An article someplace like that (especially if it's related to your blog theme) is a way to get your name out in a grassroots manner. Usually you get to put a 30-or-so word blurb at the end of your article, where you can supply the URL of your blog.

After that, it's just a matter of time.

Hope this helps.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
I took exposure to mean the blogger, not the site. But both come hand in hand when people respect the blogger and read their opinions regularly.

My advice is to blog about what is well known to you, i.e. focus on your strengths and not just the "hot topic of the day". You should enjoy writing about it [whatever it is], and enjoy researching on your own before you blog so your thoughts are based on well supported facts. Write in the formal style as if you're an editor of a large national newspaper of influence. Try not to lean to one particular party view, be keen to both side of any issue, but if you must lean - let your readers know where you stand if you wish to be a "conservative pundit" or "liberal voice", or whatever, by titling your blog page and describing your views accordingly on your site.

The #1 difference between a dime a dozen talking heads vs. a well respected blogger or think tank pundit is to write using all the style and ethics of professional journalists. Always educate and entertain your readers. Never bend easily to criticism. Have fun.

From a technical perspective all the modern blogging software is all you need, for RSS, ATOM and other aggregation and syndication of your blog content via WordPress or many other popular Content Management Systems out there. That's the least of your worries at this juncture.

What will make you stand out from the crowd is the content - the blogger. Wordpress and RSS are just tools in the toolbox, and as we all know having a hammer does not alone make one a good carpenter.

-jim

Scooby_Doo

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
Chicago
This might sound remedial

But I've found the biggest reason people leave blogs is consistency.

If you don't update your site frequently, then no one will ever return. I try to set a schedule, e.g., every Friday there is an update. However, at the very least promise your readers every week, 2 weeks, 12 hours, something will be new.

It doesn't need to be stated anywhere on the blog (unless you feel that necessary) but can be demonstrated by example.

Hold up to this for an extended period of time and you've gained a lot of credibility right there.

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
It's not a political or news blog, nothing like that. It's basically just my memories. I don't know if anyone would even find that an interesting read.

I'm not worrying about standing out right now so much as getting into a crowd in the first place. Should I just find every blog list out there and put my blog on it?

Edit: So far (3 days lol) I'm being consistent, once a day. I plan on keeping it that way at least for now.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
It's not a political or news blog, nothing like that. It's basically just my memories. I don't know if anyone would even find that an interesting read.

No offense to you, this is just my .02 but personally, unless you are some damned important person of historical influence using the blog as a form of autobiography, or I was an immediate member of your family or a close friend, I wouldn't give a sh*t about that.

Okay, that was harsh. To all you glasses is half full types, I don't want to squash the excitement and energy of this OP or any bloggers who aspire to the same, but it's a brutal truth that most of the millions upon millions of blogs are precisely like that and lost in the static of the Internet as a result. Just because everyone has an opinion, memories and thoughts doesn't mean they need to publish them. I mean, is there no original thought anymore on the Internet - people willing to take risks, talking less about THEM and more about the world we live in? [Tirade over].

Well, I gave you an honest answer since you pondered if that would be an interesting read [to me]. So I defer to the advice given by others, and remember, not everyone is a cynical ass like me. But..... hmmm.... it does make me wanna set up my own blog, just so I can bitch about things like this. Heh!

-jim

ps: Extreme sarcasm and humor mode engaged in this reply, don't take me too seriously :cool:

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Thanks for being frank, that always makes things easier to understand.
I'm writing this mostly for myself in the first place, but I still want at least a chance of being a semi-popular blog at least. It'd be more of a cool bonus than something I'm expecting. Thanks for your opinion :)
Cheers, Nate

KatieDydde

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
Style Counts

You can be writing about the most mundane topics and still become very popular if your writing is compelling. That's what makes a good writer. Funny or sad, if you make people feel something, you stand a chance of being read.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Build a pipeline of content first and see if you can work to some sort of set schedule (monthly, weekly, daily, etc..) but don't let 2 months go by. Branding is about consistency which comes in many forms. You are essentially trying to brand yourself with your blog (which comes down to content and style).

Then you'll need to find a good way to advertise your blog. Getting picked up by google is a good way but there's no guarantees there. I'm sure there are lists of blogs that you can add yours to.

Finally, don't expect too much too fast. It takes a lot of time to build a following.

Scooby_Doo

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
Chicago
Be active

Another thing you can do is be active in a blog community that you feel has similar interests/styles that you do. Post comments, write intelligent responses and people will click on your profile. They might click to your blog from there.

That is the kind of grass roots campaign that helps bring popularity to blogs. Be active with people like you and I will mention again, be consistent.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
No offense to you, this is just my .02 but personally, unless you are some damned important person of historical influence using the blog as a form of autobiography, or I was an immediate member of your family or a close friend, I wouldn't give a sh*t about that.

Hahaha. Yeah. I know some people whose blogs read like that. Some go into subjects in great detail that I have no interest in (one female blogger goes into excruciating details about things I have NO right to be interested in -- I won't go into details! :eek:) It's clear that writing the blog is therapeutic for them, though, so more power to them.

gamera~

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Boston MA
My favorite blogs have short, succinct posts that take an interesting perspective on a subject, and plenty of good links.

e.g.

marginalrevolution.com

kottke.org

If you're writing about your memories, make it interesting for the audience somehow. Put them in historical context. Relate them to today's news.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
@notjustjay:

Yes, more power to 'em, but read the bottom of my other reply, I was half heartedly kidding with the OP!

But based on the last few replies, I'll be honest, I might have been joking but let's get real here -- in the blogosphere where supply vastly exceeds demand it really takes special writing talent to make a personal memoir stand out in people's minds. It's a forest of mundane scribing out there and tough for any seed to flower properly. Great advice given here, but a lot of swimming uphill. And how many more metaphors can I throw into this reply!

All kidding aside, I support the OP. Don't let anyone stop ya!

-jim

raj101

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
blogging Tips

#avoid duplicate content
#read as many blogs as possible
#have an “About” page
# have a picture of yourself on the “About” page
# crate your own “Advertise Here” page
# use meta tags wisely
# learn the basics of SEO
# use pictures whenever possible
# create value for your readers
# place ads wisely
# use titles effectively
# offer email subscriptions
# always answer to questions
# always answer to comments

I hope it will definitely help you . Best of luck to all.

MattyP30

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I didn't want to start another in the same vein, just wondering what people think of my blog:

http://www.hamsterhike.co.uk

basically its about my pet hamster who is 'virtually' hiking from one end of the UK to the other - its about his adventures etc

I'd love opinions on the actual blog posts themselves and any improvements anyone could suggest

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.