Blogspot V Wordpress?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by eclipse, Oct 22, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all,
    Blogger I know — and Wordpress seems very different, but has some great features.

1. 3 gigs free storage!
    2. stores .doc files and odt, not just image files for display.

BUT....

Wordpress does not seem to have comment emailing. I know many bloggers that are too busy to bother managing RSS or Bloglines the way Wordpress wants you to, and so stick to blogs like Blogspot where they can leave a comment and then be EMAILED if the blog owner responds.

That seems to be a major flaw in Wordpress.com (the free hosting, not wordpress.org the software you can download and pay for someone else to host).

I might end up keeping my blogger site which is where I've parked all my stuff for the last few years and the one people know, and just using Wordpress.com for storage.

2. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

bump

what are other peoples thoughts on this?

3. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

You might want to read this article as it has some VERY interesting information and opinions on CMS's generally and where Wordpress fits in. I have to say, in choosing the software it's not just what works for you but what works for the client, and Wordpress TV radically changes that equation! Rather than having to read oh-so-boring manuals, clients / site users can now sit with a coffee and watch wordpress TV!

So here's the review

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/01/how-to-choose-the-right-cms/

And here's wordpress TV.
    http://wordpress.tv/category/how-to/

As far as i know, Joomla doesn't have that for free, while Drupal has one fairly chaotic and arbitrary podcast... the Wordpress TV is more user orientated, and they can just focus on the "Publishing" and "Writing" pages if you set it all up for them.

4. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Im talking about for blogging purposes...

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Wordpress is far more customizable! I would choose it over anything. Wordpress has themes which can be customized to anything you want. Here's one of my themes for reference. Karbon Designs

6. cyberfriend macrumors newbie

It is easy to set up and use. But you have to have some knowledge. If you know nothing about databases and and how to do some other necessary things, it might be better to set up your blog on blogspot.com or wordpress.com

7. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

I'd say go with wordpress especially if you are a newbie (like me.) :D The video tutorials are too good.

Also, wordpress.com can be upgraded for about $30? (Still same price?) They host some very professional blogs up there with your own url and everything, quite cheap. It's what they do.

8. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I agree with the WordPress recommendation :)

It's lovely to use! That's about all you need to know lol

9. calebmedia macrumors member

You should get a wordpress and use the import feature to get all your blogger stuff in WP so you can play with it and see what you really think.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you want a feature in Wordpress you can just code a plugin yourself. The code for the site itself isn't as messy as Blogger's either.

11. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Also it's turning into a CMS! Not just a "blog" any more, people are starting to use it as a website.

Also, the movie tutorials rock.

Also, it just rocks in a funky jazz sort of way. ;)