Blogy Rosa template. Long words stretching width of blog.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mrdogcat, Jan 21, 2009.

1. mrdogcat macrumors newbie

Hi I'm creating a blog and used the Blogy Rosa template. All is well
    until I post something with a long word in the title. It tends to span
    the entire width of the blog stretching it out horizontally messing up
    the design.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

http://mrdogcat.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your help.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well the main reason, is that there's no word break. It's not a problem of the template, it's the content that's the issue. But, if you don't want to fix the content you can add the following CSS. It'll fix the title. You can do something similar for the blog archive side bar if you want.
    Code:
    .entry-title {
     width: 441px;
     overflow: auto;
    }

3. mrdogcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

I'm not much of an expert with the code side of things (I'm just a designer by trade). Where would I put this code?

Thanks for your help

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

In one of the CSS files. There's a number of them embedded on the page. You might want to include it in the template CSS with a comment that you added it. Just place it at the end of any file. You can add comments by using /* comment here */ type syntax.

5. mrdogcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well what you suggested seems to have stopped the images breaking. So thanks a lot!

Can you see anything that can stop that right-hand side bit from sticking out though?

Also is there not a way for long words to be split and put on another line? That would have solved all the issues. :-/

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Not sure what you mean by the right side sticking out. As for breaking words across lines, no, there's not a way (except maybe some fancy JavaScript). Breaking the word may break the meaning of the word so browsers can't handle that understanding. Kind of like when a email client breaks a hyperlink in an email and it causes the link to become broken.

7. mrdogcat thread starter macrumors newbie

To the right of the blog page there's about a 10 pixels of the white portion of the page that sticks out all the way down until it reaches the end of the blog posts.