Blood Pressure Application

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Achiever, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Mrs. Achiever has high blood pressure and is looking to monitor it from home. We are looking for a good blood pressure checking app for the iPad or iPhone. Does anyone have one they have used/recommend/recommend staying away from? Also, the app would obviously require accessories to strap onto her arm. If anyone has any experience with these it would be appreciated.

FWIW, she is using an iPhone 4 and a first generation iPad. Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

AFAIK this is the only one currently available of several announced at CES: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ihealth-bpm/id391469141?mt=8 ratings are so-so.

http://www.ihealth99.com/ihealth/bp3.html

You might need to get a dock connector extension cable to use this with the iPad or iPhone in a case.

B

3. DuckSoup, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Buy a good home-use blood pressure machine (I recommend a good Omron one). They all have software and some connect directly to your PC. I have an Omron IT(?)790

There ARE apps to record the data onto. In that I recommend Heartwise. There is an iPad and a iPhone version. It's VERY good and has various exporting options. Website is www.swengcorp.com

Mike

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As long as you don't mind entering the data yourself, or using software on your computer instead of iPhone/iPad what DuckSoup says is correct.

Note that they are working on an ANT+ profile for blood pressure monitors so apps like digifit and wahoo may be able to tap into them wirelessly.

B

5. mhn1234 macrumors newbie

BP monitoring

There is an app called (i think ) Heartwise that will monitor your blood pressure without any extra hardware -but, having high blood pressure myself i wouldnt trust anything except a dedicated monitor like the ones mentioned in other replies

6. DuckSoup, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Heartwise is the one I mentioned above. I use it in conjunction with my separate blood pressure monitor. The charts and data in the software for the bp monitor are so-so, while Heartwise is pretty good and has very easily exportable data.

Mike

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You still need some additional hardware to actually measure blood pressure. The iPad can't do that unassisted.

B

8. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

Thanks to all for your input. You've given me some very promising leads.