Bloodnoses

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pknz, Jun 10, 2007.

1. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Does anyone else suffer from blood noses that occur without any obvious reasons?

I have done for atleast the last three years. Don't really know why it happens but it is quite a nuisance.

Possible remedies?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, when I was younger I use to get about one nose bleed a week for no apparent reason. Plus, got one every time I accidentaly banged or got hit on the nose.

No idea why, but thankfully don't get them much any more.

3. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

How old were you when it stopped and how many years did it go for?

I can sometimes have a few a day, but then go for months with nothing.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I used to but I started taking a certain med that had a side effect of stopping them, havn't had a bleed since I started it 8 months ago.

You probably wouldn't want to take the med in question though.....

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You mean nosebleeds?

I get them during the hayfever season so I know when to keep the tissues nearby. With me it's sneezing, too much of it and I start bleeding.

6. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

I seem to get them more frequent after I wrestled in high school. Was never a problem before but after it can happen at anytime.

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

When I was younger I used to get them frequently. Just the way I was made - I had a vein(?) close to the surface up my nostril. One day the doctor cauterized it (dipped a cotton bud in some liquid and rubbed it around inside my nose) and I haven't had a nosebleed in about 20 years. If it's a problem you should speak to your doctor about it. In the meantime, keep the tissues handy...

8. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I used to get them often, but haven't for a long time. I had some last upwards of 3 hours, others would be a slight trickle. My last major one was on a plane to America. Americans are easy enough to make panic, Americans on a plane are worse, Americans on a plane after 9/11 are insane. People were screaming, running around finding tissues, trying to offer aid. In the end I managed to get them to leave me alone, but by that time I was sitting under a mountain of tissues.

Go to your doctor. They'll probably offer to cauterise your nose and it could put a stop to them.

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I used to get a nosebleed every few months for about 20 years, though I haven't had one in a while now.

Though in my case, I probably know why. I broke my nose playing British Bulldog when I was about 8.

I also have a (very unhealthy) habit of blocking my nose to stop myself sneezing but doing so too late so I end up sneezing anyway. Supposedly it's a good way to burst a blood vessel - though I've never had a nosebleed after doing this.

10. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I get them pretty often, but usually in my sleep or in the morning in the winter time.

In the winter time, I always have a humidifier on. :)

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I was like that too, particularly when I was between the ages of 9 and 13. I used to think I got nose bleeds because I was "dry", as in I didn't drink enough liquid.

However, in hindsight, I'm guessing it's because of the constant golddigging. :p

12. Lau Guest

How old are you, pknz? I used to get them fairly often when I was growing fast, probably between the ages of about 9 and 13, something like that. I think someone told me that it was something to do with growing and they'd go away, and they did. I got one every single time a few hours before a thunderstorm as well, which was pretty cool in a Bwahah! I can predict the weather! type way. ;)

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I used to get them quite a bit when I was younger, generally when I had a cold coming on. It stopped in my middish-teens, if I remember rightly.

14. calculus Guest

calculus

Like it seems many others here I used to get them quite frequently, and for no apparent reason, as a child

15. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I have a giant cut in my nose. It will not heal- I've had it for like 2 monthes now. Every other morning I can't help but pulling a huge scab out of my nose. Its so nasty. I am going to go to the doctor pretty soon and see if I can have something done.

It doesn't really bleed anymore, though it used to. If I sneezed then bam- bloody nose. It actually came in handy a couple times in math when I really did not want to do something. Basically I blew my nose, it started to bleed, and my teacher freaked out and told me to go to the nurse.

16. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Mine are allergy/runny nose related. I haven't had one in a couple of years, though. But, for awhile I was getting them every other week. My nose was runny from allergies, and apparently one vein was sensitive to my blowing my nose all the time and would burst. There are over the counter allergy medications, but see a doctor if you think it's worse than that.

Oh, and ErikCLDR, I, too, have a cut on the inner edge of my nostril that occurred from one of my allergic episodes a year ago. It will heal for awhile, but then reopen when I have a cold or have been blowing my nose a lot. Very frustrating!

17. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

As a youngster never suffered although I have always suffered with hayfever. As I have got older however I find I get them when I am stressed.

I have spoken to a doctor about it and he has confirmed that nose bleeds can be the result of high blood pressure. I have since given up smoking and read a few books on stress management and find now that they are very few and far between.

18. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I have at least one nose bleed a week, and just recently (last 3 months), the amount seems to be increasing. I read somewhere that it is a genetic problem. My dad also has nose bleeds very often, and my uncle had nose bleeds very often when he was younger, but he had the inside of his nose cauterised, so that stopped it.

A friend of my cousin told me a couple of moths ago that he only had nose bleeds from his right nostril, and since then, I have noticed that I only get them from my left nostril, and my dad is the same. Have any of you noticed the same?

19. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

I'm 18 so seem to be older than most of the others who suffered nosebleeds (seems most were 9-13years at the time).

Just gone winter in New Zealand so it could have something to do with changes in season. No nosebleed problems in my family that I know of. Also none known allergies.

One of my friends has/had the same problem and got his nose cauterized so I might look into that further.

Thanks for all the information guys:)

20. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I've had one... and I got whacked in the face (which is why I got it). Never got one since...

21. 66217 Guest

I used to get them every 2-3 days when I was on Accutane. Terrible medicine, but it was worth it, no more acne.

I searched for remedies at that time, and wasn't able to find easy ones. There seemed to be some complex ones, but that implicated surgery.

Do you have very dry nostrils?

22. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I've been prone to them ever since I smashed my face off a hardwood floor when I was five. My best advice is not to pick at it ;)

I've always found that high temperatures (i.e., summer time) will increase my likelihood of getting one, as well as obvious things like getting hit in the face.

Probably the most interesting theory I've heard about nosebleeds came from my old Russian chess coach. He said, "Have you ever considered giving blood? Perhaps you have too much of it." :p