Bloody MediaWiki...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by PowerFullMac, Jan 21, 2009.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Instillation went fine but I have a problem which is when I edit a page and go back to it I need to bypass the cache of my browser to see the edits. This would be fine except for the obvious fact that it's a wiki so users will edit pages and would not be happy with doing this all the time.

I have a question, too, which is can I set it up so I have to check and accept edits and new articles?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

The software should be disabling the cache (many methods). If it is template based and you can edit the head and meta tags, make sure the following is set:

HTML:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">

There are also ways to do this based on the language the software is written in, for that consult the manual of that language as to cache control. Any commands you issue must occur before any other output.

Example in PHP:

PHP:
    <?php
    header
    ("Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate"); // HTTP/1.1
    header("Expires: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT"); // Date in the past
    ?>

-jim

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

It seems to be working fine now, was probably a server issue, my host is not the most reliable.

4. Me! macrumors newbie

mysql.stock issues!

I'm getting desperate ---

I've seen all the posts about checkin php.ini and my.cnf... everything is pointing correctly to tmp/mysql.stock.

Unfortunately, every-time I reboot my computer, my wiki won't load -- I get the cannot connect to local host error. I tried backing up my whole mediawiki folder and doing a new install, which works and then moving in my files, but then I just get a MediaWiki page saying Wiki has a problem!.

Does anyone know how to get the mysql.stock file to stop disappearing?? I REALLY don't want to re-create all the pages I just spent days setting up.... what can I do

OS 10.5.6 -- brand new install of mediawiki this week

Thanks