Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Two of the world's richest men have launched a campaign aiming to tackle smoking in the developing world.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Microsoft founder Bill Gates warn one billion people could die this century from smoking-related illnesses.

The billionaire philanthropists have pledged $500m (£250m) in the next five years to help people quit smoking.

The two men want to run public-information campaigns warning of the dangers of tobacco.

There are more than 1 billion smokers worldwide.
BBC.

Good for them. It's nice to see some of the exceedingly wealthy doing something other than commissioning the worlds latest super yacht.

Maybe Jobs can do something nice instead of forcing MobileMe/Safari installs on unwitting Windows users and parking in disabled spots :rolleyes:

Roll up, roll up charitable billionaires!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Agreed, although it says they're doing this for the developing world. They should aim for everyone, although I'm sure they feel that the developed Western world has enough advertising warning people of the dangers of smoking. The developing world probably has far less of it. And Asia.

Maybe Jobs can do something nice instead of forcing MobileMe/Safari installs on unwitting Windows users and parking in disabled spots :rolleyes:

The man doesn't even have a license plate. How can they give him a ticket?

*crunch* :apple:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Agreed, although it says they're doing this for the developing world. They should aim for everyone, although I'm sure they feel that the developed Western world has enough advertising warning people of the dangers of smoking. The developing world probably has far less of it. And Asia.
Indeed. Anyone in the "developed" world that doesn't know quite clearly the dangers of smoking doesn't deserve any further help.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Indeed. Anyone in the "developed" world that doesn't know quite clearly the dangers of smoking doesn't deserve any further help.

That's the old "If you're not smart enough to wear a helmet on your motorcycle, the government shouldn't make you because you don't deserve to live" argument. Some people subscribe to it - I don't.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
There are a lot of things they could do with $500M that could really help deserving people. To regurgitate the same warnings that smokers have been given for years is a waste in my opinion and this is coming from someone who's father died from lung cancer. Developing country or not, you have to know it's bad for you just by the hacking in the morning.

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN

What about kids who start smoking at 11/12 cos its "cool"? I do agree though that the vast majority/all of this money is needed for the developing world.

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I think this is great. It's a serious issue that needs to be addressed worldwide, and since 500 mil wouldn't make a dent in the US it will be best spent, for this, elsewhere in the world.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
There are a lot of things they could do with $500M that could really help deserving people. To regurgitate the same warnings that smokers have been given for years is a waste in my opinion and this is coming from someone who's father died from lung cancer. Developing country or not, you have to know it's bad for you just by the hacking in the morning.

I'm with you.

I smell an attempt at a Nobel Peace Prize. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.