Bloomberg and Gates fight smoking - $500m for the cause

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Jul 24, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Good for them. It's nice to see some of the exceedingly wealthy doing something other than commissioning the worlds latest super yacht.

Maybe Jobs can do something nice instead of forcing MobileMe/Safari installs on unwitting Windows users and parking in disabled spots :rolleyes:

Roll up, roll up charitable billionaires!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed, although it says they're doing this for the developing world. They should aim for everyone, although I'm sure they feel that the developed Western world has enough advertising warning people of the dangers of smoking. The developing world probably has far less of it. And Asia.

The man doesn't even have a license plate. How can they give him a ticket?

*crunch* :apple:

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Indeed. Anyone in the "developed" world that doesn't know quite clearly the dangers of smoking doesn't deserve any further help.

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

That's the old "If you're not smart enough to wear a helmet on your motorcycle, the government shouldn't make you because you don't deserve to live" argument. Some people subscribe to it - I don't.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

There are a lot of things they could do with $500M that could really help deserving people. To regurgitate the same warnings that smokers have been given for years is a waste in my opinion and this is coming from someone who's father died from lung cancer. Developing country or not, you have to know it's bad for you just by the hacking in the morning.

6. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

What about kids who start smoking at 11/12 cos its "cool"? I do agree though that the vast majority/all of this money is needed for the developing world.

7. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I think this is great. It's a serious issue that needs to be addressed worldwide, and since 500 mil wouldn't make a dent in the US it will be best spent, for this, elsewhere in the world.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm with you.

I smell an attempt at a Nobel Peace Prize. :rolleyes: