Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Bloomberg: Apple Could Add AR Bonus Content to Apple TV+ Shows in 2021

smaffei

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
Unlike ATV+ people actually pay for Disney+. I’m not sure anyone is actually paying for ATV+ since they give it away like Halloween candy.

Almost no one is paying for Apple TV+. Even with the Disney+ give aways by Verizon and LG, those companies are paying something to Disney. Apple's giveaways come directly from their pocket with no subsidies. That's the difference.

• Haha
Reactions: Ar40 and decypher44
Comment

dwaltwhit

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
So weird conflicting ideas here:

“APPLE IS DEAD AND REFUSES TO INNOVATE

“APPLE IS NOT ALLOWED TO TRY ANYTHING NEW THAT MIGHT NOT WORK OUT!”

These ideas are in direct conflict.

Jobs quoted Henry Ford to the effect of “If I gave the people what they thought they wanted, I’d be selling faster horses.”

Reactions: GrumpyMom
Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
This is for the new AR Apple glasses. A standard viewer wouldn't hold his phone up to his TV just for the heck of it. Way too clunky.

But, with the AR glasses, I can see this as being a cool little bonus for Apple Glasses and TV+ integration. I feel like the glasses will be announced with the new iPhone in October.
Who wants to wear glasses while watching TV? This will flame out like 3D TVs did.

Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Admittedly, I've not seen the true benefits of AG for everyday users. It has always seemed to be for those in the interior design space.

However, this news is intriguing. By bringing AG into AppleTV+, there are some interesting possibilities. For instance, in a murder mystery, it could allow closer inspection of evidence in 360 degree. Perhaps users can determine outcomes based how they interact with objects.

If done right, and they can weave interactivity into the plot, it could herald a new wave of storytelling.
That actually sounds like fun. I’m not sure having a lunar lander on my (non existent) coffee table would be as interesting, but what you described sounds intriguing.

I also like AR for shopping, even though the few times I’ve gotten to use it for this purpose it’s been a bit janky. But I can see it developing.

The problem is, if initial uses of AR are too corny, it may people off enough to bury it. People often have a real stick up their butts about whimsical things and aren’t content to ignore it and let the rest of us have our fun. They want to end it, period. (RIP Google Playground AR stickers).

On the other hand, a good point was made above about the AR content possibly ruining the immersive nature of the storyline.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
Every show that Apple has, save for "Snoopy in Space," has scored under 75% on Rotten Tomatoes. Not exactly banging. Disney+'s premiere show "The Mandalorian" has a rating of 93% and "Hamilton" (which was out there for anyone to snag, but Disney thought of it) got 98%. But, keep telling me about quantity over quality.
False.

The banker: 77%
greyhound: 79%
mythic quest: 94%
Ted lasso: 86%

Those are the first four i looked up.

Comment

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Apple keep banging on about AR and VR and graphics performance, and yet consistently fail to get quality 'big name' games on their platforms.

What do they intend their big apple glasses product to be used for?

Their bland TV offering has no value.

they intend It to be used for exactly the same uses as the iPhone. Maps, messages notifications, calls etc. All without needing to touch the phone or Apple watch.

Comment

trip1ex

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2008
False.

The banker: 77%
greyhound: 79%
mythic quest: 94%
Ted lasso: 86%

Those are the first four i looked up.
Yeah I thought the odds that the guy looked up the rating of every ATV+ show we’re pretty low.

I think that nature show on ATV+ has high ratings too - 90%+.

• Love
Reactions: Ar40
Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
People said this about the iPhone, iPad, and then the Apple Watch.

The iPhone was a fantastic idea with some solid killer apps. Steve lead the introduction of the iPhone with those killer apps, not with the hardware.

The iPad was introduced as a media consumption device. Steve thought he was showing some killer apps... I don't think they really ended up all that great, though.

The Apple Watch's introduction didn't lead with the killer apps. It lead with being a super luxury product. It's gold! Look at these fancy bands! Apple couldn't talk about the software, because the software is pretty meh. Everything that's great about the software was also great on the Pebble.

The HomePod is a total dud because it doesn't have any worthwhile software. A dementia patient in a nursing home would make a better assistant than Siri (no offense intended... but it proves my point that being compared to Siri can be considered offensive.)

Comment

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Yeah I thought the odds that the guy looked up the rating of every ATV+ show we’re pretty low.

I think that nature show on ATV+ has high ratings too - 90%+.
Little America also is in the high 90's. And Visible. And Boys State.

Comment

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Every show that Apple has, save for "Snoopy in Space," has scored under 75% on Rotten Tomatoes. Not exactly banging. Disney+'s premiere show "The Mandalorian" has a rating of 93% and "Hamilton" (which was out there for anyone to snag, but Disney thought of it) got 98%. But, keep telling me about quantity over quality.
This is a reckless disregard for the truth. Do an actual search through Rotten Tomatoes and you will find that the majority of Apple's shows are in the 80-90% range. Since the original drop of shows, the majority of Apple shows have earned "Certified Fresh" scores on Rotten Tomatoes. And to top it off, audience scores are routinely in the same range or better (see Defending Jacob, for instance) than critic scores.

Central Park - 92%
Boys State - 94%
Home Before Dark - 80%
Mythic Quest - 94%
Visible - 100%
Beastie Boys - 100%
Hala - 88%
Greyhound - 79%
Banker - 77%
Ted Lasso - 86%
Little America - 95%

I rest my case. The majority of shows on Apple TV+ are bangers.

Comment

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
This link has the top 20 most watched shows from the 2nd quarter. I don't see any "bangers" from ATV on there. Netflix had the most.

Wow. You are just going to ignore my post and bring irrelevant viewing statistics? Yes, I also am aware that TV+ is a brand new service and thus has a smaller viewing audience. That doesn’t change the fact that the shows on TV+ are bangers, in fact, of the best shows of 2019-2020. The reviews are in. The people will soon come. As a great man once said, “Build it and they will come.”

I am basing my words on the quality of the product, not its popularity. Popularity is about what the crowd is doing, its only a matter of time and even more continued bangers before the crowd catches on. On the Rocks is coming soon. Winter is coming™.

Last edited:
Comment

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
Unlike ATV+ people actually pay for Disney+. I’m not sure anyone is actually paying for ATV+ since they give it away like Halloween candy.
Just because people don't pay for one thing doesn't mean they pay for the other. Has Disney actually released figures or are we all just reporting some generic fact that could represent users not end user paid accounts.

Comment

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
Like Apple didn't give away subscriptions?!? Almost ALL of Apple TV+'s subscriptions were given away free.

In fact, if you got Disney+ via Verizon service or the purchase of a new LG TV, Disney+ got some money from those companies for the subscriptions (not full price for sure, but some money). All of Apple's Apple TV+'s giveaways came directly out of Apple's own pocket, no payback at all.

Get back to me in November / December when people start dropping those Apple TV+ subs when they are no longer free.

All the Apple TV + came from buying new hardware. You think Verizon and LG paid MSRP for those subscriptions. You think they paid anything? I doubt it.

Comment

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
The iPhone was a fantastic idea with some solid killer apps. Steve lead the introduction of the iPhone with those killer apps, not with the hardware.

The iPad was introduced as a media consumption device. Steve thought he was showing some killer apps... I don't think they really ended up all that great, though.

The Apple Watch's introduction didn't lead with the killer apps. It lead with being a super luxury product. It's gold! Look at these fancy bands! Apple couldn't talk about the software, because the software is pretty meh. Everything that's great about the software was also great on the Pebble.

The HomePod is a total dud because it doesn't have any worthwhile software. A dementia patient in a nursing home would make a better assistant than Siri (no offense intended... but it proves my point that being compared to Siri can be considered offensive.)

The iPhone was introduced with zero apps. Steve led the introduction with phone, safari, and iPod support.

The iPad was mocked for being a large iPod Touch. It's announced data plan didn't even last before units shipped.

My whole point was that since the iPhone Apple has let the market show the value.

Comment

delsoul

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2014
I'm curious about Apple TV, but when I watch anything on it in full screen, I just get heavy black flickering. Makes watching Apple TV completely impossible

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.