Bloomberg: Apple Increasing Hiring for Team Working on New HomeKit Devices Beyond HomePod

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is ramping up hiring for a team working on new HomeKit-based devices and software, having posted at least 15 openings for engineering positions on the team in the last month, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

The report claims the efforts are headed by Andreas Gal, the former CTO of Mozilla who joined Apple last year following the iPhone maker's acquisition of Silk Labs, an artificial intelligence startup that had created a privacy-focused security camera and smart home hub system.

Details are vague, but one possibility is said to be new smart home devices beyond the HomePod speaker. Apple is also said to have explored creating a wide range of smart home accessories, such as modules for opening and closing windows, cabinets, and doors, but those efforts were reportedly put on hold.

Article Link: Bloomberg: Apple Increasing Hiring for Team Working on New HomeKit Devices Beyond HomePod

Last edited:

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I would love to buy first party HomeKit devices from Apple. Really looking forward to them.
I don't see Apple releasing their own smart lightbulbs and kitchen appliances, if that's what you are suggesting. Their attention and resources is way too limited and precious to waste on endeavours like this which can easily be outsourced to a third party.

Reactions: rp2011

kyleh22

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD
15 doesn't seem like a categorical shift in focus. Hopefully this is just the start...I'd love to see Apple as invested as Amazon and Google are.

DanBig

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
So we'll see a home server again! Which is is secured and manages the home, Siri Voice Pods, room entry stations, Desktop view stations & more variations of HomePods all inter-linked via Mesh WiFi!

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Or just concede defeat and fully integrate with Amazon and Google. Then bring back headphone jack and ditch Lightning for USB C.

I'm kidding. Apple will introduce an RGB unicorn puke lighting device that is good for one's health.

• Haha
Reactions: BeefCake 15

Edsel

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
The current iterations of Airplay2, iOS 13.1.2, HomePod, and Apple 4kTV are horribly unsynchronized. It's a mess that needs desperate attention. Apple seems to be more focused on how a product looks and feels than how they operate in a synchronized system.

Before they invest more assets in developing additional HomeKit devices, please improve your device firmware and iOS software.

Wig321

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
I want to spend money on smart home devices, why are Apple taking so long to release some? I’m holding out as I only want HomeKit devices.

fmcshan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2019
USA
Hoping this becomes a thing! If Apple does go forward with this plan I will definitely purchase these devices, as they most certainly will be much more reliable than some of my other smart home devices.

redpandadev

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
I would love for Apple to develop some smart home accessories. There are very few good ones out there and even less that are built with any regard for privacy.

A camera in particular would be awesome. Rip the ultra-wide camera out of the 11 series and make it a standalone HomeKit camera and you’ve got gold.

ersan191

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2013
Apple gives developers tools to develop their own products to work with their ecosystem.

Developers either don’t make products or make mediocre ones.

Apple says screw it we’ll make it ourselves. Product is wildly successful.

Developers: Pikachu face

Customers and Media: WaLLeD GaRDeN!!11

millerlite

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
I LOVE my Homepods, and I was worried that they were being neglected. We still haven't even seen the OS update, to match all of their other devices. So this is very welcome news, indeed.

Reactions: DoctorTech