Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Same concerns that I had with the "innovational" google glasses back in the day - remember those ? Privacy, privacy, privacy. Presumably no camera built in to the Apple ones ?

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2016
Erhhmm, To me this is wishfull thinking at it’s best:

1: AR glasses - yeah right! If they do exist, I’ll bet you they will most likely be canned or at the very least delayed a couple of years - unless of course it becomes pure entertainment/playing glasses. Way to many technological barriers to conquer, and WAY WAY WAY to many legal issues with people using these and getting involved in accidents.

2: ARM based Mac’s - yeah right! That’s not happening anytime soon. ARM is still not equipped to emulate x86-64 at sufficient speed to serve a proper user experience for x86-64 apps. I see no indications of MAC OS going ARM as there are no app devs being asked to deliver ARM based versions of their apps.
It will more likely be iPadOS on a Mac like Laptop device - Maybe apple is resurrecting the iMac name for this device? With iPadOS becoming more and more mature, a more Laptop like productivity device would make a whole lot of sense.

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
I think it is very important to look at the author more than the publication. This is Mark Gurman, who has probably had more Apple scoops than any other reporter ever. His name is not on that other article :)

True, but his track record took a big hit when he left 9to5mac. He had a lot of exclusives quickly proven true, but now it's just combining things that are already published. It did improve a little recently, but still not at the same level as his 9to5mac work. I think a few of his sources jumped ship when he made the move.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Don’t see AR glasses happening from Apple in 2020. Heck I’m pretty skeptical we’ll see that at all from them. This is a rumor for the stock market.

Mac on arm? No interest. I actually need programs to run on my computer. Bad enough to lose 32 bit ones with Catalina. Don’t see it happening next year anyways.

Maybe they should have thrown in car rumor as well. Some people actually take that nonsense seriously.
The stock market doesn't care about AR glasses until they produce sales. Apple Car, Apple AR Glasses, Apple whatever doesn't move the stock in the case of AAPL...at all. Never has. This isn't AMZN or NFLX where hype drives the stock.

In Apple's case, Wallstreet waits for sales data to believe Apple and usually not even then. Apple is hugely underappreciated for what they currently offer, let alone products that don't exist.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
No way they're going to have a legit finished product by 2020. I do think it will be extremely limited in general though when launched.

My guess is that they have 1) a companion product, like the Apple watch but on your face 2) A full VR headset like the Oculus rift, used for gaming and or full VR experiences. That way apple can charge for another subscription service, maybe Apple Arcade (+) .

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Great, so another round of "glassholes" on the horizon. Just what people want, someone watching and talking to them with a camera in their face.

The idea itself is great, I just think the use of it is going to be very problematic.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
I really hope they don’t hold back sleep tracking on the watch as an upgrade-only feature. It can easily be done via software to existing models.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I wonder how much these will affect watch sales. One of my favorite things about my watch is the ability to look at what was sent without grabbing my phone. Like a screening device. If it matters, I grab my phone. These will easily perform the same function. I can't see myself buying another watch after I have AR glasses.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
I wonder how much these will affect watch sales. One of my favorite things about my watch is the ability to look at what was sent without grabbing my phone. Like a screening device. If it matters, I grab my phone. These will easily perform the same function. I can't see myself buying another watch after I have AR glasses.

Hopefully the watch would further evolve into a fitness and health device, utilizing sensors to give you valuable information.

But honestly I’m not optimistic given that Apple can’t effectively manage the product lines it has currently.

Reactions: NinjaHERO

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The image on the front page showing the AR glasses is pretty cool. I’m not sure where I stand on this product yet for my usage (I’m sure its applications will apply differently for everyone), I definitely see a future in the medical field specifically with AR glasses. But the potential is there for AR to demonstrate things Consumers haven’t been exposed to before.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Wait a minute MR.

It appears Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman is merely making a prediction no different than Kao. Yet your headline reads as if Bloomberg has information and reporting an Apple announcement or inside information.

Am I misreading your headline or Bloomberg’s article?

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Will ARM-based Macs BootCamp Windows for ARM? And while we're at it, ARM-based Windows micro-boxen Hackintosh? Yes.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
So do we think the 16” MBP is going to be the pinnacle classic mac that users cling onto for dear life rather than be sullied by a new RISC machine?

I myself am quite keen on an ARM future, but I like the thought that the x86 swan song is going to give everyone what they want out of a traditional Mac laptop.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Thats much ealier than i expected for the AR glasses and Arm macs....
Super excited about the AR glasses... ! Next year this time i could a actually expriance them .!? Wow !!! ??

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Erhhmm, To me this is wishfull thinking at it’s best:

1: AR glasses - yeah right! If they do exist, I’ll bet you they will most likely be canned or at the very least delayed a couple of years - unless of course it becomes pure entertainment/playing glasses. Way to many technological barriers to conquer, and WAY WAY WAY to many legal issues with people using these and getting involved in accidents.

2: ARM based Mac’s - yeah right! That’s not happening anytime soon. ARM is still not equipped to emulate x86-64 at sufficient speed to serve a proper user experience for x86-64 apps. I see no indications of MAC OS going ARM as there are no app devs being asked to deliver ARM based versions of their apps.
It will more likely be iPadOS on a Mac like Laptop device - Maybe apple is resurrecting the iMac name for this device? With iPadOS becoming more and more mature, a more Laptop like productivity device would make a whole lot of sense.

It’s no slower emulating x86-64 on ARM than it is on x86-64, or any other architecture.

And app developers don’t need to do anything special to make ARM-based apps. They do it all the time. In fact, now you can target an iOS app simultaneously to ARM for iOS devices and x86-64 for Mac/Catalyst by clicking a box in Xcode.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Don’t see AR glasses happening from Apple in 2020. Heck I’m pretty skeptical we’ll see that at all from them. This is a rumor for the stock market.

Mac on arm? No interest. I actually need programs to run on my computer. Bad enough to lose 32 bit ones with Catalina. Don’t see it happening next year anyways.

Maybe they should have thrown in car rumor as well. Some people actually take that nonsense seriously.
The fact that macOS Catalina dropped 32-bit support completely makes an ARM-based Mac more credible albeit not guaranteed.

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2016
It’s no slower emulating x86-64 on ARM than it is on x86-64, or any other architecture.

And app developers don’t need to do anything special to make ARM-based apps. They do it all the time. In fact, now you can target an iOS app simultaneously to ARM for iOS devices and x86-64 for Mac/Catalyst by clicking a box in Xcode.
Wholehartedly disagree :) And yes, IOS app’s can now be moved to MACOS, but I’m quite sure that most of the major apps for MacOS (Photoshop, MS Office and so on) are not just converted to ARM by the push of a button. Not to mention MacOS itself is not just converted to ARM ..... Architecture changes are more complicated than just using another compiler :)

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
I'm honestly surprised so many people care about there being a camera on glasses... Seems to be a big deal to a lot of people. I could not care less, there are cameras all over the damn place already on every street corner and in everyone's pockets.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
ARM macs... not sure if that means cooler running computers, or less capable. If less capable then we are official going backwards tech wise.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
ARM is still not equipped to emulate x86-64 at sufficient speed to serve a proper user experience for x86-64 apps. I see no indications of MAC OS going ARM as there are no app devs being asked to deliver ARM based versions of their apps.

Not needed. Most macOS App Store apps built for x86 can be built for ARM with a simple compiler switch (plus some not yet released Apple frameworks) soon after any announcement. Apple is already doing this with Catalyst, where a simple switch does 99%+ of the work of porting many ARM iOS apps to macOS X86. A X86 macOS to ARM macOS port will be even easier. Also, most (even enterprise level) Linux app already have ARM ports, for Raspberry Pi and AWS ARM instances. ARM software runs plenty fast on AWS, no slow down. And Apple’s processor cores are faster, and will be even faster when tuned and packaged for a higher power and thermal envelope.
[automerge]1571709227[/automerge]
ARM macs... not sure if that means cooler running computers, or less capable. If less capable then we are official going backwards tech wise.

Backwards produces sales. Plenty of MacBooks were sold, even though significantly backwards in performance compared to the much earlier Mac Pros. But with infinitely better battery life and a bit more portability.

Reactions: Roscorito

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I would love an arm-based MacBook Air that is faster than the current MacBook Pro. Or a MacBook Pro that is faster than the current iMac Pro. Or an iMac Pro that is faster than the new Mac Pro. Or a Mac Pro that is far faster than any other commercial workstation computer that exists in the world. But I would definitely start off with he MacBook Air because of the balance of performance and battery life that such a device would bring, along with giving them time to work out the kinks and the fact that I already have a fast desktop. You'd think they could easily make that thing twice as fast as the iPad Pro which is already nearly as fast as a 2017 iMac i7 but without being able to sustain a load for as long due to thermals. Imagine an arm-based Mac that had active cooling!

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
didn't Google already release glasses like these and they kinda failed? I think the big news is the ARM based Macs that have been rumored.
Google Glass was a disaster. Difficult to use. Slow. 45 minute battery life if you were lucky. Headache inducing. Even as a tech hoarder, I didn't bother to hold onto mine. That said, the technology still has promise.

By tethering to a phone ala the Apple Watch, I could see Apple building something with great utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.