Bloomberg: Apple testing new 4k capable Apple tv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by easy4lif, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ze-television-an-inside-look-at-why-it-hasn-t

"Twerdhal's arrival comes as the company tests a new, fifth-generation Apple TV that it may release as soon as this year. Internally codenamed "J105," the new box will be capable of streaming ultra-high-definition 4K and more vivid colors, according to people familiar with the plans"

Yea id buy it. Give my 4th gen to family

My guess on specs
    A10 fusion
    2gig ram
    32/64 storage
    Gigabit ethernet
    802.11 ac wifi

2. Julien, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Some VERY important UHD specs:

HDMI 2.1
    HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR10 & HLG)
    Expanded Color Space (DCI-P3, upgradable to Rec. 2020)
    Up to 120 FPS
    10 bit depth minimum
    Dolby Atmos & DTS-X3
    H.265 codec
    4:2:2 or 4:4:4 Chroma

3. jljue macrumors regular

I'll eventually buy one when I move to the next house within the next couple of years. The 4K TV has Roku built in, and with current 4K content availability and time available to watch TV, I wouldn't have time to enjoy it anyway.

4. cynics macrumors G4

This is general UHD specs or rumored specs for the next AppleTV?

I have a lot of skepticism especially when it comes to Dolby Vision when HDR10 (while not quite as good) wouldnt cost them anything to implement.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2017 ---
    BTW I'd pick this up on launch. Move the AppleTV4 into the guest bedroom.

5. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Dolby Vision requires a specific hardware chip and license. I dont see apple paying licensing fees for this. HDR10 is more likely since its open source.

6. Rigby macrumors 601

There will be changes once HDMI 2.1 is out, which will natively support dynamic HDR metadata. Dolby Vision (which "hides" the metadata in the video stream to pass them through today's HDMI connections) is a bit of a kludge and has some technical issues, for example when passing the signal through an AVR (which often destroys the metadata). We'll likely see new HDR formats, partly because many players in the industry have a problem with Dolby's licensing terms. If you're in the market for new gear, I'd wait a few months at this point.

7. Julien, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Good discussions and a few things to keep in mind. Dolby Vision HDR metadata won't be a problem with HDMI 2.1 and would even support up to 10,000 nits. We are early in the game and should see integrated chips to support multiple HDR formats soon. Licensing would likely be in line with Dolby's audio codecs which is about 50¢ in large volume. Apple can and probably does leverage the lowest licensing costs from Dolby and probably is paying less than 50¢ now. As we know Apple has the highest profit margins in the electrons industry (many are in the single percent range) and can easily absorb this without effecting the bottom line or real price. Irony: The compony that can afford the highest fees pays the lowest fees. :D

Also be nice to include HLG. It is optimized for real time (live TV) HDR. There is also a 4th in the works called AHDR but not much momentum.

Knowing Apple you guys are probably correct and we will only get HDR10. But for now we can hope for at least 3 (edited my post to include HLG since it would be applicable to many Apps).

Feel a little for people who already bought 4K TV's since 4K (actually 3.8K) resolution is the least important and visually obvious part of the UHD spec. It is a lot like people who bought the first HDTVs before HDMI was finalized. :eek:

Glad Apple wanted until the specs for UHD were settled instead of just rushing a 4K only system.

http://www.uhdalliance.org/introduction/

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.