Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on a combined Apple TV with HomePod speaker that has a camera for video calls through a connected television set, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

AppleTV-and-HomePod-Feature.jpg

From the report:
The company is working on a product that would combine an Apple TV set-top box with a HomePod speaker and include a camera for video conferencing through a connected TV and other smart-home functions, according to people familiar with the matter, who asked not to be identified discussing internal matters.

The device's other capabilities would include standard Apple TV box functions like watching video and gaming plus smart speaker uses such as playing music and using Apple's Siri digital assistant.
Following disappointing sales, Apple discontinued its original high-end HomePod in March, leaving many wondering if the company was working on a successor. The HomePod mini, which launched last year, has been much more popular thanks to its lower price.

Apple unified its engineering teams for HomePod and Apple TV last year, suggesting an integrated device offering the best of both worlds could be in the offing.

However, according to today's report, the product's development is still in the early stages, and Apple could choose not to launch the product or change key features.

Apple is known to be working on an updated version of the Apple TV that will allegedly have a gaming focus with an updated remote control, a faster processor, and increased storage capacity, although it seems likely that today's report is referencing another potential future product. Signs of the new Apple TV have been showing up in iOS since January 2020, so we are expecting to see a new Apple TV launch in 2021.

Today's report also mentions that Apple is working on a concept for a future HomePod design that has an iPad connected via a robotic arm, which could follow users around a room during video calls.

Article Link: Bloomberg: Apple Working on New Apple TV With Integrated HomePod Speaker and FaceTime Camera

Last edited:

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
Eh, bundling a bunch of stuff together that we didn't ask to have combined.
I don't think this makes sense. I really can't see the point. Never mind the practical nightmare of having to place the speaker so that the camera is reasonably positioned for picking up your face for video conferencing - all while it has to be physically connected to the TV display for streaming. Ugh.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
What I was imagining is that that a high quality HomePod Sound Bar (with HDMI/TOSlink IN so it can support something besides the AppleTV like the HDTV ARC/Blu-ray/TiVO combined with HomePod (not mini) Stereo or Quad (with HomePods in the front HomePod minis in the back) for Dolby Atmos and 5.0 sound. The result would be pretty much the best home theater sound system at any price.
This is still double Apple, it's not too late!

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Granted I've been wrong a couple times in my life (my wife never let's me forget), but this sounds like a weird combination.

1. An Apple TV with a single speaker? Do people not want stereo sound anymore when watching TV?

2. The large HomePods weren't popular because they were considered too expensive. How does throwing in an Apple TV, a screen, and a remote make it any less expensive?

3. Does this combination provide anything unique? We can already do FaceTime calls with our phones, laptops and tablets quite easily. We already have media streamers in all our TVs built in. Many of us already have smart speakers in our homes.

In short, I hope I am wrong again, but I struggle to see the value of this "product".

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
the integrated device exist already and is called iPhone.

Quality loudspeakers should be positioned based on acoustics and not where I want to make a videocall -
and most Apple TVs anyhow are already connected to an AVR that provides the loudspeaker connection.

So yes, they could integrate video-calling into an Apple TV - but it seems very strange to integrate a loudspeaker
in the line of the original HomePod.

jb-net

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Austria
That would be awsome and this is also the reason why I don‘t belive it. Apple doesn‘t care about us enthusiasts, they only care about cheap market share for their subscription service (tv+ app on tvs)

Reactions: 1258186

SD449

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2012
Maybe Facebook Portal is more popular than I’d expected... ?

I know they advertise hard so maybe people are buying them for their non-tech savvy relatives

Reactions: 1258186

shapesinaframe

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2020
the integrated device exist already and is called iPhone.

Quality loudspeakers should be positioned based on acoustics and not where I want to make a videocall -
and most Apple TVs anyhow are already connected to an AVR that provides the loudspeaker connection.

So yes, they could integrate video-calling into an Apple TV - but it seems very strange to integrate a loudspeaker
in the line of the original HomePod.
My wife and I want to make long video calls relaxing on the couch at home with our friends who are on the other side of the world.

That’s not an enjoyable experience holding a phone or huddled around a laptop.

Ambient technology is the future.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I want homepod capability connected to the receiver and speakers I already own.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I can’t see this being a real product. Most current Apple TV’s are likely hidden away in a cabinet. HomePod speakers are in the corner of the room. The tv screen itself is in the center of the wall. This product wants to be all three of those devices...

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
Maybe Facebook Portal is more popular than I’d expected... ?

I know they advertise hard so maybe people are buying them for their non-tech savvy relatives
Portal would seem to be the perfect product for the pandemic with elderly relatives stuck at home unable to see their grandchildren. I’ve no idea how many they’ve sold.

purfledspruce

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
I just want a new Apple TV. Been waiting for a year to get one because the dang current one is so old, and I hope they’re going to do something great for Apple Arcade - hopefully something with the graphics processor they’ve been rumored to be developing.

Matt Leaf

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2012
Would be interesting to see this when it eventuates. Maybe a family of products, not just one. An Apple Soundbar/TVPod could be cool.

Reactions: aylk and 211
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.