Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier in January, Apple detailed a series of plans to to bolster the U.S. economy, which included the confirmation of its fourth campus based in the United States. At the time, the company said its new campus will "initially house technical support for customers" and that it won't be located in California or Texas, but no other hints regarding its location were given.

Today, Bloomberg posted a new piece theorizing potential locations for Apple's fourth campus in an attempt to predict where Apple might end up. In partnership with Moody's Analytics, Bloomberg was provided with data regarding the top 15 U.S. cities for tax incentives and a local business environment, top 15 cities for workforce education and human capital, and top 15 cities for public transport.

apple-park.jpg
Apple's latest U.S. campus, Apple Park

This information was cross-referenced with known data including current Apple headquarters, call centers, data centers, repair centers, smaller corporate offices, and major parts suppliers, to result in areas of the country that Apple could be interested in. Bloomberg ultimately hypothesized that Apple "seems likely" to end up in one of three areas: the northeast, potentially in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts or upstate New York; the southeast, in North Carolina or Florida; or Midwest, in Illinois or Wisconsin.
When you consider all these factors, Apple seems likely to choose among northeastern states such as Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and upstate New York; North Carolina and Florida in the southeast; and Midwestern states like Illinois and Wisconsin. The East Coast has one obvious advantage: the ability to provide customer support before existing call centers in Texas and California open for the day, as well as its proximity to hundreds of suppliers. The company could also consider the northwest, where it has a couple of offices, including an R&D center for cloud services in Seattle, and several suppliers.
In regards to Moody's top 15 cities data, Bloomberg argued that these statistics will be the main criteria Apple looks at when planning its fourth campus. These cities could provide Apple with incentives in exchange for its investment, a talented workforce that emphasizes bachelor's degrees instead of advanced engineering degrees ("which arguably fit better with Apple's plans to recruit technical support people, rather than those working on products and operations"), and available commuting options for employees, including a nearby airport for those flying in from other offices.

As the company makes plans for its latest campus, this month it has also named Kristina Raspe as its new vice president of global real estate and facilities. On her LinkedIn page, Raspe said that she's responsible for a variety of the company's real estate assets, including corporate and data center construction.

Cities that have already expressed interest in becoming the home of Apple's fourth U.S. campus include Sidney, Nebraska and Orlando, Florida, but Apple said back in January that it won't confirm the location until later in 2018.

Check out Bloomberg's full article for more information on the potential locations of Apple's upcoming campus.

Article Link: Bloomberg Narrows Down Potential Locations for Apple's Upcoming U.S. Campus

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL
Come to Miami Apple !!!!! * See Below

It would make living here a whole lot better lol. Plus I need a good use for my recent graduate degree in C.S.

Thanks Apple for giving me hope.

Best,

USVet96

apple-park.jpg

Apple's latest U.S. campus, Miami, FL

Reactions: glowplug

Gashole

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
I hope it's near Philly so I can watch people walk into the walls. I imagine that would be good fun.

giphy.gif

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I doubt it will be in Pennsylvania. My friends and I joke that PA is like the armpit of technology, we are always 5-10 years behind here in technology. Most of the area still uses copper for dsl internet and they've been promising fios for the past 10+ years, and Comcast is a joke where they charge $79 mo for dsl speeds and it's normal to have two outages a day.

Reactions: mguzzi

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Upstate NY?! *throws out the welcome mat*

We already have Global Foundries, SUNY Nanotech, and other tech companies, so Apple would fit right in. We’re kind of like the Silicon Valley of New England up here. Plus, upstate NY is beautiful and had the Adirondacks. Come be with us!

Reactions: nybear31

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Nebraska! No viable public transportation and the education system is being gutted as we speak but the weather is usually crummy, except when it’s miserable. And no boring oceans or mountains to interfere with the view.

We did give a large enough tax break to get a Facebook server farm built. I don’t think it’s running yet but soon. There’s a Google server farm across the river in Iowa. Because the local AFB is one of the air forces command centers the phone and fiber communication lines are above average.

Shall I tell the governor to expect a “yes”?

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
The Twitter post picture MR used for this article, sure makes Apple seem menacing... lol I assume not on purpose. Like The Darth Vader Corp. expanding.

Attachments

• IMG_20180307_172422.jpg
    IMG_20180307_172422.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 158

Fmello

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2016
Wisconsin
Foxcon is building a multi-billion dollar facility in South-Eastern Wisconsin. I would not be surprised if that factors in Apple's decision to choose Wisconsin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.