Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clothesline5246

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Hi everyone.

I Noticed a couple of months ago now that my iMac (2010, i7, 27") had some blotches in the top right hand corner and I'm sure they have grown, there's more of them now too and they're in the left top now. They look almost as though there smudges on the glass and you can only really see them when you have a light background colour. It's like a darkening of the pixels or something. What do you think I should do? Will Apple fix it or what

(Yes I am aware that the new imac has just come out today and no It's not a coincidence that I've decided to wait a couple of months just to see when the new one would come out)

rnb2

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2006
West Haven, CT, USA
A well-known issue, unfortunately - I have them really bad on my 2009 i7. It's actually dust in between the layers of the LCD panel, caused by an insufficient seal (tape instead of glue). Apple has been replacing the panel for many people.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
I've got apple care so you think if I give them a call they should sort it out?

Do a search on these forums and Apple's own. Basically they'll likely swap out the screen but on a one time only basis - if the problem re-occurs (which people have documented does occur) then you may have a fight on to get it replaced again. Apple are claiming (rather indefensibly in my opinion) that the issue is caused by environmental factors where your iMac is located - I think this is total BS on their part.

Clothesline5246

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Well I've just been on the phone with them and a guy is coming to pick it up for repair tomorrow, so so far so good.
The guy didn't seem to of come across the problem before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.