Blu-Ray AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cerbx1, Mar 9, 2008.

1. cerbx1 macrumors newbie

I read many threads on the subject of blu-ray. I did not see one about the LaCie external drive. It runs for about $600. and comes with the software to burn and view.

Now, does anyone know if there is an internal drive that will fit and run in a MP?

Thanks in advance...

2. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Take the drive out of the enclosure and put it in your MP. Data discs is all you'll be able to use, movies won't work.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I just received a GGW-H20L that I'll be putting in my Penryn/Nehalem Mac Pro. Blu-ray burning and HD DVD reading, plus the DVD/CD bit. It's designed for internal use, so you don't have to pay extra for the case.

Got it from NowDirect.com. Great service and phenomenal prices; 10-30% off what you'll find ANYWHERE on mostly anything. If I decide to go third-party for my second graphics card in my Mac Pro, I'm going there. Seriously, I thought it was a scam because the prices were so much lower than anywhere else. My thanks to TEG for setting me straight. My drive was $327 and it runs for $360+ everywhere else that I saw. Got here in two days, as well.

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

$700 or $327... hmm...

6x BD-R burning and HD DVD playing... hmm...

6. cerbx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Viewing Blu-Ray Movies

Thank you for response. I looked at all the specs on the LG site, and noticed the software included is for Vista. How do you view movies?

7. aLoC macrumors 6502a

You will have to wait for Apple to update DVD Player to support Blu-Ray. And I believe Sony will not license software Blu-Ray players unless the operating system has certain copy protection features, which OS X doesn't have. So it would probably be an entire OS update (such as 10.5.3 or .4 before we get Blu-Ray movie playing).

8. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

9. crm114 macrumors member

i say get a PS3 - you can play blue ray and a bunch of cool games - i cant stand the console controllers, but what the hell -

maybe the attached photo is the solution...

Attached Files: