Blu-ray and HD DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SMM, Aug 25, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Would it be feasible to craft a single player, which would support both formats? What would be the issues (basic description). I read a lengthy article about blue laser technology a few years back. It really did not address the format issue in great detail. I also read an article about the differences in -RW, +RW, High density, etc. It mainly said the differences were where the data was being written to (land, groove, and both). Is this the same between the HD formats? I would appreciate a good reference source if someone knows one.

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

3. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Thanks, JOD8FY! The player you linked me to is indeed dual purpose. I was unclear in my post. I was thinking more in terms of an internal drive (like the superdrive) which could read both formats. Since I originally posted, I went out and did some legwork (which is probably what I should have done in the first place).

What I have read makes me suspect a single drive could not easily work for both formats. There are significant physical differences in how the drives work. Even the media is different. Like many, I am growing weary of this lack of a standard. Ever notice how Sony always seems to be in the middle of these standard squabbles? ISO should have a group specifically focused on media. I suspect many issues could get resolved before a company gets hundreds of millions invested in R&D and cannot easily extricate themselves.

4. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

LG makes a dual format drive. About the only thing it won't do is burn HD-DVD (but it will read HD-DVD discs). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136124

a wee bit steep at the moment.

cheers.