Blu Ray and Ripping in General

Discussion in 'iMac' started by William7, Apr 10, 2012.

1. William7 macrumors member

I know it is not possible to order a Mac with a blu ray drive but i was wondering if i could get an external drive and use it to watch, rip and burn blu rays, is that Possible?

Second: i know there are a lot of ripping softwares out there but most of them automatically convert and compress the video files, I want one that will rip them at FULL quality and i do not care about how much memory but i want the quality in its entirety. Any suggestions for a software? or do i need to write my own?

2. cvan44 macrumors newbie

For your second question: Download HandBrake and VLC...When I rip DVD's, I set the Output settings to Large file size. This will also allow you to throw them into iTunes. Works every time I use it and quality is great.

3. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

2. Download "MakeMKV". It rips the full bluray uncompressed in full quality. You can then convert it to compressed formats with tools like Handbrake.

4. All Taken macrumors 6502a

5. William7 thread starter macrumors member

Ok so it is possible, any suggestions on where i can or which i should, get an external blu ray reader and burner?

6. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

LaCie. LaCie. LaCie. I've had nothing but good luck with this drive. It is a bit, expensive, clocking in a $179.99, but it's totally worth it. Here's a link.

Lacie - LaCie Slim Blu-ray

7. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

I recently bought an external Blu-ray drive and was very angry that Mac has really no Blu-ray support at all (except the BD-icon on the desktop :D ). And there is just ONE app playing BD on a Mac: http://www.macblurayplayer.com/

8. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Technically VLC will pick up a stream of your Blu ray but thats a story for another thread to explain. Blu ray support isn't fantastic on a Mac and it's obvious why.

Myself, I've just added a Blu Ray drive internally to a 2011 27" iMac to import all of my media for streaming to an apple TV. MakeMKV and Handbrake help me to achieve this wonderfully.

9. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Reviving this thread....

Looking to buy my first external Blu-ray burner for my iMac.

The Lacie looks great, though terribly expensive. I'll consider it.

All I want to do is rip Hi-Def movies from either TOAST or IMOVIE/IDVD.

I take it that both these pieces of software will support the Blu-ray burner?