Blu Ray Burner Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Gupsdad, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Gupsdad macrumors newbie

Need help: New to this site.

Have a MacBook, a Canon HD digital video camera and blu ray player. Up to this point I have been using iPhoto to download and burn my home movies. However with our blu ray player, the quality in translation from iMovie to blu ray is "digitized."

What do I need to burn blu ray movies from my video camera to our blu ray using my MacBook. I have been online, read recommendations from LG burners to Toast 11. Review have been positive on LG not so positive on Toast 11.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge here . . . really need solid advice as I have movies to burn!

thanks

2. mBox macrumors 68020

Ive been using the LaCie BD burner for years.
    Runs great with Toast and Adobe Encore.

3. careypo macrumors member

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

The LaCies are great (better quality than their HD's). A bit pricey though.

5. mBox macrumors 68020

Got mine years ago when there wasn't any options. Still running great :)
    Are there more now, I havent looked around since the LaCie is doing well.
    Keep in mind, we dont like the LaCie products just that particular burner.

6. cgbier macrumors 6502a

OWC has a good assortment of different models. I can't say much about their quality or compatibility.

----------

Don't be too hard on LaCie. Once you get your drives back from repair, they are great. ;)
    Had a failure quote of 2 out of 5 drives within the first weeks (click of death). Since LaCie's repair service is that great, I only buy refurbs from them now. Never a problem any more.

7. Alucardx03, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Just got one of these from Best Buy for $110 after my three-year-old OWC drive failed.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...0K0Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322960001&sr=8-2

It has worked very well so far. No complaints at all.

Owning an OWC drive, I can speak to the quality a bit. The drive has served me very well over the years. It's very large compared to competing drives (I'd say 1/3 more height, twice as long). The fan runs as long as the drive is on, even when there is no disc inserted, and can only be turned off with the switch on the back. It's also very loud.

However, the drive is enclosure tough and sturdy. And, like I mentioned, lasted for about 3 years. That's pretty damn good for an optical drive being used almost daily.

8. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

9. AgRacer macrumors member

You can burn blue-ray content onto standard DVD's with Premiere Elements 10.

You'll be limited to about 20m of video per DVD but an option if you don't need more than that.

10. mBox macrumors 68020

you wont get the high bit rate. I was doing that with Toast and Adobe Encore for years. Not the best but works if you needed something fast and if your out of BD discs.

11. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Compressor did (does) it too. Could play only on a Mac though IIRC.

12. Gupsdad thread starter macrumors newbie

Blu Ray Burner Advice Needed

Thanks for all the advice:

So, if i go with LG burner (lacie's are a bit pricey).

Roxio Toast has poor reviews on Amazon and OWC has no reviews to date. What software to accompany? BD Encore has been recommended. Apparently I need additional software to create Blu Rays from my MacBook as iMovie doesn't recognize blu ray?

Next discs, many reviews across the board on Amazon . . . thoughts?

Again thanks for your input!

13. Keebler macrumors 68030

I just about an OWC quad model br burner for speed and was also wondering about discs.

I found an older article which said that TDK had some of the best while ritek were ranked terrible.

Other than that, not alot out there from what I can see.

I need inkjet printables as well.