Blu-Ray Burner buying advice.....

6AL5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
Due to a cataclysmic HD failure I'm now looking for a Blu-ray burner for data back up online is not really an option due to unreliable internet connection.

Does anyone know if the LG be16nu50 works with T Toast on a Mac, would really prefer to have M-Disc support and other recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with the M-DISC support for data archiving.

I don't see any problem with an LG drive being compatible with Toast.
Toast is compatible with nearly everything...

6AL5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
Thank's it seems sensible to include M-Disc support..

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I use Bluray for critical backups, such as email archives, but I can only get 25Gb blank disks, which don't hold much these days.
I don't bother with Toast. FInder works well for dragging files to the disk icon and then burning the disk.

HDFan

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Does anyone know if the LG be16nu50 works with T Toast on a Mac,
I have this drive and toast 15 does see it. However I only use it for reading DVD's and Blu-Rays (no problems), so have no experience with writes.

Any reason you're not just cloning the drive to another HD and putting it in a bank safe deposit box? Seems a lot more convenient. A Blu-Ray will last a longer than an HD (10 years or 100 years gold, vs 2-7 years without refreshing the HD) in storage before it becomes unreadable. It's unclear whether an M-Disk will last longer. Wikipedia quotes a study which says they deteriorate at the same rate as regular Blu-Rays. The Gold disks I looked at are expensive, ~$15 each, so if you make a lot of backups it quickly becomes more cost effective to back to HD.

And you still need two more backups to meet the golden rule of 3 different backups on 3 different media types in 3 locations.

6AL5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
Firstly didn't realise with a Blu-ray you could still drag and drop from within the OS and burn, I can't see that the Pioneer BDR-XD05TB has M-Disc support.

I was just cloning to another HD as a back up solution but I have recently had two WD HD's fail within a couple of weeks of each other.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Firstly didn't realise with a Blu-ray you could still drag and drop from within the OS and burn, I can't see that the Pioneer BDR-XD05TB has M-Disc support.

I was just cloning to another HD as a back up solution but I have recently had two WD HD's fail within a couple of weeks of each other.
Any hard drive (SSD or platter) can die at any time its the nature of the beast.

What you have here is an issue that can be solved with a dual slot external hard drive, set up in raid 1.

So you have two HDD's that both have a copy of the data if one dies you can just swap it out for a new one and copy from the backup copy.

Something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thunderbolt-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBUTV0060JSL-EESN/dp/B00FIYJ94Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508852266&sr=8-1&keywords=western+digital+thunderbolt+duo

6AL5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
That's out of my price range at this time and recovering the data may yet have to be passed to a professional.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I have a consulting engineering business. I try to sort my data by client and then create a client/project bluray as a backup - several dollars for a disk is peanuts. The same for emails ( I use Mail Steward to create an archive for this - it goes back 20 years and transends many software updates).
The main limitations are videos, photos and music collections, which exceed the 25Gb limit of my bluray disks.
There are plenty of threads on this site about RAID HDs. All I can say is take care - they need to be set up correctly for reliable backup. Mine weren't!

6AL5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
The LG be16nu50 which I asked about in the first post supports the single, dual, triple and quad layer disks which makes it much more usable for larger backups.

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Due to a cataclysmic HD failure I'm now looking for a Blu-ray burner for data back up online is not really an option due to unreliable internet connection.

Does anyone know if the LG be16nu50 works with T Toast on a Mac, would really prefer to have M-Disc support and other recommendations would be appreciated as well.
Yes it works!