Blu-ray burner for MBP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Marlin, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Marlin macrumors member

I'v recorded HDV for the first time and want to burn some Blu-ray disks, but have some questions on how to proceed. I will use FCP7 or Compressor to send files to Toast, as that seems the way to go. MBP 2.6 GHZ 4GB RAM.

1)Will I encounter issues with 2 eSATA ports one the Scratch disk the other for the burner.
    2) Can anyone recommend a decent burner as most of the reviews I'v read are not very clear.

Thanks very much

2. tri3limited macrumors 6502

You can burn straight from compressor otherwise. Worth bearing in mind HDV isn't recognised as full hd but I can sort of understand the desire for blu-ray.

3. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Have used the LaCie external Blu-Ray burner with the (then-bundled) Toast 9.

The burner works well I guess, but I haven't used any others so I have no comparison.

The Toast software has been a pain. I know they're up to Toast 10 by now, but I think there's still a problem with the menus displaying properly on some of the newer Sony and LG Blu-Ray players. Instead of the packaged menu template with nice background and button graphics, the display shows a black background and only the button highlight/outline:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=46145

The encoded video looks good, but without functional menus all I can do is enable auto-play and forget about any slideshows. Not cool.

4. Marlin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much. I think we will have the issue of what players will play a Blu-ray disk for quite awhile, just like -r +r etc. the disgusting licensing question. Note the new FCS release is still 2 not 3 and $300 less. I think that means we have to do work arounds until FCS 3 is released with a new authoring program. I saw this review on Ken Stone's site

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/owc_mercury_blu-ray_burner_saraceno.html

Thanks