Blu-Ray Burner HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nitro1, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

I am sure this has been asked and i am sorry if it has but i need a quick answer and i am having issues finding it. I have been researching this for a while and from what i can tell if i wanted to get a blu-ray reader/ burner for my mac pro i will need drivers for it. Makes sense. Here is the issue all the blu-ray drives i see that are supposedly for mac do not seem to come with drivers.
    I have also seen people say all you need is a software such as toast titanium for Blu-Ray.

I want to put blu-ray movies on my mac and convert them to HD so i can stream them. so i need a blu-rayu drive.
    HOW CAN I DO THIS????????????

Please help.
    Thank you

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

As long as the drive you purchase can burn some form of media, MakeMKV should be able to extract the data to your hard drive. It does not have to be able to burn Blu-Ray discs, just CDs or DVDs. You can read more about this on the MakeMKV site.

If you want to mount the drive internally, you'll most likely have to use SATA. To access the unused SATA plugs on your Mac Pro you have to tear it apart a bit but isn't a big issue. Youtube has plenty of video how to do this. If you do use the SATA ports though the drive will not show up in Windows via bootcamp. Might not be an issue for you but now you know.

You shouldn't need any drivers though. You will not be able to play Blu-Ray movies in case you didn't know about that either.

3. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

So i can get the data off of a blu-ray movie as long as i have a blu-ray drive but i will not be able to play the movie?

Is that correct as to what you are telling me????

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

You won't be able to play the movie "live" off the disc, at least not without some pretty significant hoop-jumping at this point. Reason being there's currently no software that properly supports playing Blu-ray video.

What there is is the fairly new app that SilentPanda mentioned, which can bypass the copy protection to let you rip the contents of a BD to your hard drive, sans copy-protection. You can THEN play the movie (I've successfully done this myself), though I believe it'll play as a video file, not with the full BD "experience" (pop up menus and games or whatever else). The hack essentially uses this app to bypass copy protection on the fly and play as a stream from that; there should be instructions elsewhere on this forum if you search.

5. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

MakeMKV

U have tried the software with no luck. I have tried to get on the forum but having issues. I will try again later. But i am wondering if i need a blu-ray drive in order to copy a blu-ray. The forums that i have seen say that all you need is a drive that writes CD and or DVD's but it does not completely say whether or not you need a blu-ray drive in order to do the blu-ray movies. As of right now when i insert a blu-ray it tries to see it and then ejects the disc.

If anyone cares please give me some idea's

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yes, you need a drive that can read Blu-ray discs to read Blu-ray discs. A completely different kind of laser is required to read a BD--if you look in the tray of a BD drive you'll see two separate lenses, one for CDs/DVDs, and one for BD.

The previous comment about the drive being able to burn something was, I believe, in reference to being able to burn a recompressed disc, not being able to rip a Blu-ray disc for yourself.

You can get an external Blu-ray capable drive (read only, not burn) for about US$100 now, less if you go bargain-basement and shop around.

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

In order to copy a Blu-Ray disc to your hard drive on a Mac using MakeMKV you need a drive with the following minimum criteria.

1 - Can read Blu-Ray media.
    2 - Can burn some form of media.

8. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all for the help. I will be picking up a BD drive as soon as possible and i will let everyone know how well it works.

Thanks again