Blu-ray Burner

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ferrarofilms, May 24, 2009.

1. ferrarofilms macrumors member

Has somebody tried the OWC Mercury Pro Blu-ray LG GGC-H20L External?
    Is it all true and beauty for 190 bucks?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can drop everything prior to "LG", as that isn't branding.;)

It works beautifully. You need third-party burning software, though.

3. ferrarofilms thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

I am aware of the software issue. After all what I´ve heard about Blu-ray burners on Mac (price and compatibility) this is a soft breeze...

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Careful, there - the GGC-H20L only reads BDs. And since you're not going to be watching them in OS X yet, that's of very limited utility - all you'll be able to do is read data BDs burned on other machines. You want the GGW-H20L. That one burns BDs. And that, by the way, is why you're able to get it so cheaply - because it doesn't burn. NewEgg, which sells many of these as loss leaders or more heavily discounted than others - sells the GGW-H20L, without enclosure, at about $190. You wouldn't be able to get it with an external enclosure that cheaply.

5. Great Dave macrumors regular

So, I can't watch blu ray movies in Mac OS X.5.7?

Is there anyway I can or is this a Windows only thing?

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

With some software, such as VLC, Plex, or the Toast Video player, you can watch BDs other people have burned, or non-copyright protected BDs. But you won't be able to watch any commercial BDs until  implements an HDCP compliant method or application for viewing BDs. So unless you have a friend who makes lots of these, a BD reader will be of very limited use to you in OS X. Now, it should work in windows, (again, with appropriate software), but I don't use boot camp and therefore have no useful information to offer you there.

7. Great Dave macrumors regular

Hi again!

Thanks for helping me out in both places!

Yes, that is what I want to do - watch commercial DVDs

I was thinking of giving Windows 7 a shot, because of all the positive reviews and finally utilizing Bootcamp, but it just seems like a lot of work.

I hope Apple fixes this problem soon! - like now!

Thanks!

8. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

I am going to have to correct you there.. With AnyDVD and Parallels virtual machine, you can strip the protection off the commercial BDs.. which makes them perfectly playable on Mac OS.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Windows only. Nothing can be done.

10. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Still requires windows, at which point the original question is moot. We're talking about an OS X only solution. If you can use them after processing with a VM, we're going to assume you're just watching them in the VM.

11. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

There is no need to nitpick. I offered a solution that involves pre-prosessing a BD disk in a VM, after which you can shut down a VM, and watch a resulting M2TS file in native MacOS. It's a perfectly reasonable workaround to current lack of BD decryption support in Leopard, and the one a lot of users aren't aware of.

12. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Well, he did point out that he was considering using windows. Also, watching the the transport streams in OS X is not exactly an elegant solution yet, as most people want DVD-type functionality and haven't downloaded Plex.

13. mac.fly macrumors regular

mac.fly

How does this work in detail?