Blu-Ray coming soon? I hope so...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by reusman, Feb 29, 2008.

1. reusman macrumors newbie

I read an interesting article today about Blu-Ray drives and when we can *hopefully* expect to see them in Macs... The article can be found Here

It talks about Apple ordering/ working with Sony to create slot-loading BR drives [read & write] for the Macbook Pros. It even says that they would have appeared in last Tuesdays update, but didn't because of some laser/ disc loading concerns...

All very interesting. Its now talking about a June release for Blu-Ray macs, and I'm curious... Do you think we will see Blu-Ray macs in June? Sooner? Later? Never?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can already get slot/tray-loading Blu-ray drives for Macs. You just can't get them BTO from Apple.

We'll first see Blu-ray from Apple at WWDC '08 as a BTO option for the Mac Pro. The next revision of MacBook Pros after that will have a Blu-ray option, then the iMacs, then the MacBooks. By the time the Minis are updated after the next one (it'll be around the time of the Penryn iMacs), they will have been phased out or replaced with a slightly more upgradable xMac.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Source?

I don't think that the MacBook Pros will get a Blu-Ray drive before the iMacs, simply because of the MBP being a portable. I also don't think we will see BR drives in MacBooks this year... unless the battery life issue is adressed. That goes for the MBP as well.
    I think that you are pretty close about the MacPro BRD coming at WWDC, though.

4. reusman thread starter macrumors newbie

Now Engadget is saying similar things... ;-)

Engadget just put out a similar article....

HERE