Blu-ray drive for 2006 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by P-Worm, Nov 27, 2012.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

The DVD drive in my 2006 Mac Pro is currently dieing a likely death and I am thinking of replacing it with an internal Blu-Ray burner since they have come down in price considerably. I know that there are software issues with playing Blu-Ray disks, but I was more going to use it for Data backup and then watching DVD's, playing CD's, etc.

My question concerns the connection. I am unsure if I will be able to just replace the DVD drive with this other drive. I am currently looking at this drive:

OEM Blu-Ray Drive

It won't come with any cables or anything, so I need to know if I need something else. It says it uses SATA and I think that is what my DVD drive in there now uses. Is this a simple swap out?

P-Worm

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The existing connectors in the optical bay are IDE, not SATA. Get a PATA/IDE BD drive (they are rare) and everything should work fine.

Alternatively you can get a SATA drive and connect it to the motherboard SATA connectors, but I believe there are issues with this solution, such as the optical drive won't be bootable and I think there's a problem with it in Windows as well.

3. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

4. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Thanks for the heads up. I think I will just wait until I build my next computer for the Blu Ray drive. :)

P-Worm