blu ray drive in Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by radiohead314, Mar 25, 2015.

1. radiohead314 macrumors newbie

Hi my old dvd drive did not do anything anymore so I bought a new blu ray drive. The drive fits perfect and it should be compatible according to others.

Now when the MBP awakes from sleep or boots the drive shows some activity but it will not show in the hardware list. Is there something I could do to make the system recognise the drive? I tried rebooting after batterie disconnection.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

So which driver did the "others" say to use? AFAIK there is no BR device driver for an onboard BR drive as Apple have never installed one.

Best with all HW to make sure you can source a working driver before you buy the HW...

3. vetman35 macrumors member

The drive should be listed in the System Profiler under SATA. If it is not then the drive is bad. If it is listed, pop a CD or DVD in and see if it mounts.

Roxio Toast used to add a Blu-Ray driver. I have not used it in a long time though. You might check into that for Blu-Ray playback.

4. radiohead314 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is this model
    Panasonic UJ267 UJ-267 Matshita SATA Blu-Ray BD-RE 9.5mm Slot Load Burner Writer

However it does not show under sata.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

AFAIK no internal blu-ray will work due to drivers not being present for them in OS X. But that may have changed recently.