blu ray drive or DVD burner?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Boston007, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Boston007 macrumors 6502

Boston007

I have an early 2008 Mac Pro.
    My drive sometimes won't read discs, I've used it so much. I want to buy a new drive. My question is, do I get a blu ray drive(not BR burner) or get a regular DVD burner, like a superdrive.

The price difference seems to be about $40-$50. What benefit is there to having a blu ray drive. I don't think I'll ever watch a br movie from there. And I dont think I'll want to rip BRs either

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

If you do not think that you'll ever watch a blu ray movie or anything from the drive then buying a blu ray drive probably isnt worth your money. I have just one blu ray drive, a PS3, and I rarely use it.
    Get the superdrive.

3. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I'm a big Blu-ray fan, but I think you answered your own question. You don't think you'll use it for BDs, so don't spend (waste?) the extra money. DVD±RW drives are so cheap nowadays, it's not the biggest decision in the world anyway is it? If you decide in the future that you do want BD reading or writing capability, they will be cheaper by then, so it's a win-win.

(I didn't wait, I love Blu-ray).

4. Boston007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Boston007

thanks

Porco and iLucas,
    Thankd for the advice guys. I agree and I'm gonna buy the Samsung burner on Macsales.com. It's pretty cheap and a nice drive.

I have a PS3 and generally watch my BR movies on that, which I either buy or rent them.

Thanks again!

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Blu-ray drives are problematic in the Mac Pro. Many reports of them constantly waking up the MP from sleep, or checking loudly for a disc every few minutes when there is none.

So even if they were the same price, I'd stay away from Blu if you don't need it.