Blu-ray drive randomly looks for disc when empty

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stinkweasels, Dec 11, 2009.

1. stinkweasels macrumors newbie

I recently installed an LG CH08LS10 and it appears to work fine for ripping with makemkv(its only use), but it randomly flashes and makes a noise looking for a disc when there isn't a disc in there.

Anyone else have this problem?

2.66 early 2009 quad 10.6.2

2. Shazaam! macrumors member

Shazaam!

I installed a Samsung SH-S223Q in the lower optical bay of the same machine. I got a regular timed cycling noise that I found objectionable, so I removed it.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Same issue here with an LG drive. I assumed that it was just something odd about that particular drive, but maybe not.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Nermal, is your's an '09 as well?

Assuming they're all '09's, it could be the firmware or how the OS is interacting with the way the ICH10R is treated in the MP (4 + 2 config).

5. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I have on 08 MP, and i put in a samsung 222A drive. (made by TSSTcorp). It too makes the random look for media. I got used to it.

K

6. stinkweasels thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I don't need to RMA since others have the same "issue"

I wonder if disconnecting the superdrive would help...

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

So it's not limited to just the '09's. Both are EFI64 systems though (the firmware's not identical though, as the microcode for the CPU's and chipsets are different).

TSST = Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology (and they acquired part of Fujitsu this year - HDD business only).

No need to RMA it, unless there's other issues not mentioned. But disconnecting it should stop it (and render the drive useless to you :p). ;)

8. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Not a Blu-ray drive but my Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1S (SATA) does this as well. It does it whether it is the only drive installed or when there is another drive. It's been doing this for the last few years. This is on a 2006 Mac Pro.

I also have a Samsung (TSSTcorp) DVDRW SH-S203B (SATA) which doesn't seem to do this, or maybe it's too quiet to notice. Same goes for a couple of old NEC IDE drives.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I don't recall the IDE drives doing it, but it's possible, and I just didn't notice.

10. crashmaster1 macrumors newbie

same here...

I have an LG BH08LS20 bluray burner, and about every ten minutes or so it clicks. '08 MacPro here...

crash

11. stinkweasels thread starter macrumors newbie

I meant the factory superdrive ;):p

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

I presumed the drive, not the entire system, if that's what you thought I may have been reffering to. ;)

Apple is likely to do that, but you can insist on just the damaged part, as IIRC, there's posts on others making arrangements to do exactly that. :)

But if it's fine otherwise, I'd leave it alone. Worst case, you end up buying an optical drive (any will work so long as it's the right interface) after the warranty expires. Better than a new logic board,... :p

13. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

14. JollyRogers macrumors regular

Put there so those of us that add BR drives go nuts :D

15. stinkweasels thread starter macrumors newbie

For some reason mine stopped doing it a few days ago :confused: The only change I made was filling all 4 HD bays.....

16. maghemi macrumors 6502

It used to happen in my 07 mac pro as well. So it's not limited to EFI64.

In the end I took the drive out as I didn't use it often enough to warrant to irritating noise.

17. stinkweasels thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still not 100% sure why mine stopped doing it. I've ripped about 20 blu-rays and still appears to have stopped doing the random search/look :confused:

I did uninstall Perian prior to it stopping also(had to check time machine)