Blu-Ray Drive that burns data in Finder?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 3282868, Dec 19, 2010.

1. 3282868, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010

3282868 macrumors 603

I sold my '08 Pro with an LG Blu-Ray burner (I believe model GGW-H20L) that worked PERFECTLY. I could burn in Finder, no need for toast.

On my new '10 6-Core Westmere Pro, I've tried LG Blu-Ray WH10LS30 but it wouldn't allow for burning within Finder (states the BD-R doesn't have enough space) and I don't want to use Roxio Toast every time I need to burn data.

I learned LG WH10LS30 isn't fully OS X compatible but WH10LS30K supports Finder burning. I bought that model on Amazon but they sent me WH10LS30, not K.

I tried LG Blu-Ray Burner BH10LS30, and again, will not allow OS X Finder burning. This is the third drive, and I can't find the previous LG Blu-Ray burner I sold with my '08 Pro.

I need a Blu-Ray burner that allows for OS X Finder burning and Lightscribe. I've always had good luck with LG burners… until now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys! :)

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Maybe I am missing something, but if WH10LS30K works as you need it to, and Amazon shipped you the wrong model, why don't you just order it from someplace else?

3. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Tried but can't seem to find it, or the two instances I did they ran out of stock. It's difficult to believe that previous LG Blu-Ray burners were fully OS X compatible (aside from the obvious lack of HDCP support). Worst case scenario I may have to purchase through OWC, but they typically charge more for OS X "certified" optical drives. I considered flashing the first LG burner (WH10LS30) to WH10LS30K but could not find the necessary files.

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I'm looking for the same thing, what about the Pioneer drives? (BDR-206)

5. Agendawoman macrumors newbie

LG WH10LS30 Blu Ray Burner ... only works with Toast 10

I have the LG WH10LS30 (no K or MPK). Read lots of posts and tried just about everything in the book to get it to work in the Finder, but it wasn't happening. Bought Toast 10 Titanium Pro and at first that didn't work either. Turns out that you have to update Toast to the latest version (.8), and then trash all the old preferences and plist files, or you get an error that says there is an "unstable connection." See Roxio's discussion group for more info on that. Anyway, once I wasted three Blu Ray disks, updated the software, and trashed all of the old pref/plist files, the LG WH10LS30 (in an external enclosure) wrote to blu ray disks just fine. That was the only way I could avoid trashing the darn LG burner altogether.

I'm really a bit frustrated that Apple hasn't provided a simpler solution for Blu-Ray.

6. abarone macrumors newbie

With Toast is it possible to mount a Bluray in the Finder? Can you use Bluray discs for data backup or do we have to wait for OSX support?

7. Vylen macrumors 65816

You don't need Toast to mount blu-ray discs. They're automounted fine like any other disc. You can use Toast, however, fine for burning blu-ray discs. Can also use Finder to do burn data BD discs.

8. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    sorry if this is a dumb question but I thought you couldn't do blu-ray on a mac. I'm looking for a ligthtscribe burner for my mac so was just looking for the cheapest option since I have a MBP and Mac Mini which both have DVD burning ability. But if I could burn/read/watch blu-ray discs, I would look for a blu-ray w/ lightscribe capability

9. brentsg macrumors 68040

Generally "doing Blu-ray" refers to popping in a movie and having it play.

While rough around the edges, it's possible to burn data to Blu disks, use them for data read/write, and even ripping movies.

10. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

^ok, but on a mac, you can't actually watch movies off an external blu-ray drive correct? Although I'm thinking you could maybe if you had windows installed on the mac via bootcamp? - maybe even something like parallels. I'm not sure about that part

11. brentsg macrumors 68040

Yeah it should be possible from a bootcamp windows partition.

12. Vylen macrumors 65816

No, you can watch blu-ray movies from the disc using MakeMKV - it's a rather direct approach by playing the movie files "directly" rather than navigating through the movie menus.

13. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

SERIOUSLY!

I don't even like Blu-Ray, but for god's sake, let the people who want to mod their Macs have some kind of option. I'm sick and tired of hearing people complain.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Bluray is a good optical storage solution. I use it to backup my pictures for archiving.

15. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Alright, if that's the case, then I might as well get a blu-ray burner with lightscribe. I'm looking at the LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner w/ LightScribe for 79.99 FS New Egg

16. brentsg macrumors 68040

17. Rizvi1, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

^oh really? alright then.. I'll skip the blu-ray then

18. Vylen macrumors 65816

The issue is solved just by having a disc in the drive.

19. Randall Flagg macrumors newbie

So bottom line we should buy the WH10LS30K not WH10LS30 ?

What is the main difference between both ? They are both 10X write. The new model are 16x

20. brentsg macrumors 68040

I can have a disk in my Blu drive and it'll wake periodically anyways. If I unplug the drive it stops.

21. Rizvi1, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Well I won't be using the drive all the time so I could live iwth that. Again, All I need it for is burning lightscribe labels and watching blu-ray when I'm there. And maybe (once in a blue moon) leaving a blu-ray to rip and (in a bluer moon) leaving a blu-ray to burn

Are those the "sleep issues" that were being referred to? I thought the problem was that it would cause the computer go to sleep or something weird like that.

22. brentsg macrumors 68040

It won't stay asleep, randomly wakes up. If you don't sleep your system then it won't matter I guess.

I'm waiting to see someone confirm that the "K" model referenced above works a intended, otherwise I'll grab an external enclosure for mine.

23. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

^ Not sure if it'll help but the model I brought up in this thread is the k model (WH10LS30K) and I had learned about it through the slickdeals thread that I linked. There's a lot of discussion in there including the discussion of custom firmware for speeding the ripping of commercial blu-ray. I also know there are some people in there considering buying this for using w/ mac

24. brentsg macrumors 68040

Thanks, I had just thought it was a Newegg link.

Sucks, that K model is supposed to work well in Macs.. was going to try it. But once the riplock is removed who knows how it will behave.

25. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch