Blu Ray External Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thatoneguy82, Feb 4, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Is getting a BR drive worth it? My SuperDrive, which I took out for my SSD/HDD setup is giving me problems, especially with DL DVDs. I saw an LG model for a "regular" DL Drive and a Blu Ray drive. They both had Lightscribe, a feature that I once had a long time ago and quickly lost, so it's nice to have it back. I tried playing a BR movie and it didn't work and I didn't even know there were DL BR discs (which are expensive). I copied successfully a shorter movie on one BR disc, but of course it couldn't play. I expected that, it couldn't be that easy.

Anyway, money aside, is there any practical reason to have BR for a mac for now or the future? Well, I have parallels now with Windows 7, so I guess I can factor that in too.

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

I have a Samsung SE-506 that I use with Win7 in Parallels. Works fine in Parallels.
    I haven't tried to use it in OSX with a BluRay disc as I know there are problems.

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

You can use MakeMKV to rip the main feature of a bluray disk to a single file which you can play in VLC, MPlayer etc or you could encode it with something like HandBrake for your iOS devices.

MakeMKV also has an experimental feature which will play the contents of the disc without dumping it first.

4. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I have a Samsung BD-ROM/DVD Writer (SH-B083) connected to my iMac and it works just fine. I use MacBlu-Ray Player and it works perfectly to play any movie I have.