Blu-ray for iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by marcel-v, Jun 27, 2007.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

Have Apple said anything about the possibilities of upgrading an iMac DVD player to Blu-Ray?

2. Richard Richard macrumors member

Richard Richard

hello there.. As far as i can tell from the reports from Leopard - DVD player supports both formats , But .. untill the players/recorders come down in price they will not be put in for a while yet

Cheerrie Byye

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

too expensive. too risky. and too big(from what i recall) for an iMac.

the best case would be a BTO option on the Mac Pros at this point. then we'd see it trickle down.

4. Sped macrumors regular

You never know. When I bought my iMac, there was no such thing as a Superdrive in the Power Mac although the towers did get the new drive very soon thereafter. However, I tend to agree that Blu-ray is too costly at this point. In addition, until iDVD supports Blu-ray, there isn't much point from Apple's point of view.

5. CBAviator macrumors 6502

Well, Leopard is going to support Blu-Ray----right?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

only confirmed in DVD player, but might make its way into iDVD and such later as iLife is certainly due for an update. doesn't mean we'll see the drives in macs, there're always external options.

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I suspect next revision MPs might get an option of adding a BR drive. Even if it wouldn't be hugely popular some people would certainly want it. I can't see it being less popular than the 16gb RAM option. :p

8. Sped macrumors regular

Yep. And HD-DVD too. Does that mean the next macs will have HD-DVD? Again, I doubt it.

9. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

the next logical step for apple is to upgrade the superdrive to HD-DVD or blu-ray, the only question is when and which one?

for people with a 360, they'll want HD-DVD...and those with a ps3 will want blu-ray

10. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

$900 for a DVD player, whatever format, is a bit insane unless you have lots of floating cash around.

Give it 6 more months and hopefully the format war will begin to hit a crescendo and prices will be dropping. Give it 2 years and a Blu-ray dvd for the Mac will be $200 or less.

11. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

blu-ray isnt jsut a "dvd" player..its a potential way to backups, and being able to make longer/bigger movies, etc etc.

12. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Who is going to watch those longer, bigger movies. You can backup on DVD, and CD.

13. CBAviator macrumors 6502

That's like saying---who is going to watch color television, black and white serves the purpose. Or saying---who the heck even needs DVDs that store more information than video tapes...can't we just use VCR tapes?

With hard drives reaching the TB levels, I would rather back up on fewer blu-ray than other current media. Do you know how many CDs it would take it back up a 1TB drive? (It's a lot).

14. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

The Blu-ray drive might be an option for the 24" iMac at least.