Blu-ray Imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stevol, Apr 20, 2008.

1. stevol macrumors member

OK, I know this has been discussed here and there, but what chance do you guys think there is for us to see a Blu-ray Imac in the next few months? This year? Next year? Will it be a premium option, or will we see new superdrives all around? I am kind of waiting for this before buying an Imac but don't want to wait too long.

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i would say in the coming year since other computer companies have put out Blue-ray computers.

3. acarle208 macrumors member

4. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i could see them all getting it at the same time. that would be cool.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Apple was late to the party with the CD Burning iMacs [Actual Steve quote]. I expect to see at least Blu-Ray playable iMacs and the Mac Pro get the Blu-Ray that can burn too. Also the iMacs with the 24 inch screen would be the minimum for this drive.

It probably will be the same thing again with this format. 2x,4x,8x, etc. and the capacity improving with each passing year.

6. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

We likely will not see one this year. The 12.5mm readers are still very expensive (many hundreds of dollars) and the writers approach $1000. Even as a BTO option, that's very steep.

The Mac Pro should see them first because the half-height desktop units are much cheaper then the 12.5mm mobile ones and the Mac Pro is targeted to applications like video editing that could use Blu-Ray.

I fully expect the iMac and the MacBook (Pro) to see Blu-Ray, but probably not until around this time next year at the earliest.

7. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Where have you been for the last year? There are many Blu-Ray burners on the market for under $350.

There is no excuse for Apple to hold out on Blu-Ray any longer. They should have had it in the MacPro last year at the latest.

8. stevol thread starter macrumors member

Dell XPS-One $200 premium for Blu-ray

It seems the top of the line Dell XPS-One (iMac competitor) includes a blu-ray burner for a $200 premium over the next lowest model. It's still a steep price -- $1999 for a blu-ray burner on only a 20" model, but it gives you an idea that, hey, if the competitor is doing it, then it is possible for the iMac to have it soon too!?

9. zedsdead macrumors 68040

The iMac uses slot-loading drives. I don't believe any are thin enough yet for Apple. There was a rumor a few months back about Sony not being able to deliver the Blu-Ray drives Apple wanted.

As for why they are not in the Mac Pro's. Can't really tell you.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

HA! That's funny! The XPS One. A competitor! HA!

Keep your pants on, everyone. There'll be Blu-ray drives in Macs soon enough.

11. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

$650
    $860

There really is no reason for apple to not at least offer a BD drive.

12. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Yes, but those are all the larger 5.25" PC size, correct?

The iMac needs a slimline (12.5mm) slot-loader and the only two I can find are FastMac's at ~$800 and the Panasonic UJ-225 at ~$850.

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Perhaps this summer, a USB Blu-Ray drive can be an option for iMacs if the sexy slot loaded Blu-Ray drives are still not invented yet. I would like to see Apple support movie playback using their DVD player at the very least.

14. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

nah. the pro line will get it first, then the imac, then eventually the macbook. but i would guess that the bto option for blu-ray wouldn't be on the cheap side.

15. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Agreed. Apple pushes Final Cut Studio for the Mac Pro and therefore I think they will put a BluRay into that way, way before they put it into the iMac. In fact, we may NEVER see a BluRay drive in an iMac because it could/would cut into the iTunes movie sales.

Just a hunch...

16. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Next excuse?
    http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=16537

Humm, Just like DVD sales cut into iTunes movie sales? Wrong. That is no excuse.

17. Leon Kowalski macrumors 6502a

Leon Kowalski

When Apple-the-computer-company starts making product decisions
    based on the interests of Apple-the-iTunes-company (or vise versa)
    both companies are gonna lose.

Maybe Apple should refuse to sell music/video downloads to Windoze
    users -- because it could/would cut into their computer sales.

LK