Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
Then why would it take you 10 hours to download 720p? Hell, I can download a full dual layer BD (50GBs) in 5 hours.

It may be because of ISP caching or that "feature" that bursts download speeds at the beginning but slows it back down for sustained transfers.

When I had Comcast I'd see similar bandwidth tester results but when I'd do large downloads it's be more like 1 MB/sec.

Since I switched to FiOS (20/20 service class), what I see in actual downloads is what I see in the tests. Verizon sucks hard as a company to deal with, but the service is great.

John

Mr Fide

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
I'm holding out for a 17" MacBook Pro with Bluray

Bluray has spoiled me for regular DVDs. What I miss, though, is watching a DVD on my laptop. When it's in your face like that, it's bigger and more immersive than any other kind of screen experience That would be so good on Bluray.

That's why I'm holding out for a 17" MacBook Pro with Bluray. How good would that be, in a recliner, that huge screen right in your face, all that audio goodness in your headphones.

How long do you think I'll be waiting?

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
We should know by September (or whenever Snow Leopard arrives) if Snow Leopard really does support Blu-Ray drives. I would expect initial support for external drives or built-to-order drives in Mac Pros in conjunction with Final Cut and/or DVD Studio.

If, and only if that happens, I would assume that the next major MacBook Pro revision will offer at least a built-to-order Blu-Ray drive in the 17" MacBook Pro.
Latest rumors say November for a MBP update.

To sum it up:
If it turns out in September that SL supports Blu-Ray in general, my bet is on November.
If SL does not support Blu-Ray then the wait will be longer, probably mid 2010 as a next possible date (intermediate MacBook Pro refresh).

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Downloads are the future, whether you like it or not. Millions said that no one would buy from iTunes because they prefer having a physical disc or record. Is that still the case? Once the technology improves (players, internet speeds/bandwidth, graphics cards, the connected home) downloads of movies and movie rentals will be the norm, and it will remain as such because it's data-if it's improved upon, the players and standards don't really become obsolete.

When do you think this will take place? Downloading movies is at least 10yrs from now if not longer. Apple is just dragging their feet on this issue. They could of put it on the new UBMBP but they decided to use proprietary display adapters instead.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Bluray has spoiled me for regular DVDs. What I miss, though, is watching a DVD on my laptop. When it's in your face like that, it's bigger and more immersive than any other kind of screen experience That would be so good on Bluray.

That's why I'm holding out for a 17" MacBook Pro with Bluray. How good would that be, in a recliner, that huge screen right in your face, all that audio goodness in your headphones.

How long do you think I'll be waiting?

It might be in your face, but the color on the display is not properly calibrated (grey scale, etc) and the contrast ratio is so poor that you miss lots of detail in most scenes. DVD is just fine for a laptop quality screen.

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
CA
It might be in your face, but the color on the display is not properly calibrated (grey scale, etc) and the contrast ratio is so poor that you miss lots of detail in most scenes. DVD is just fine for a laptop quality screen.

If you were referring to most PC laptops i'd agree. But my 17" macbook pro has HD resolution, and pretty amazing contrast. After using it for over a year, i've gone back to PC laptops and noticed the suckage that they use for screens. I can't stand them!

I have netflix, and rent a lot of blu rays. And when i'm traveling, or at work i'd like to be able to pop a blu ray in and watch it. Not to be out of luck till i get home.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
And again, On Demand programming has been around for years. And much of that can be had and comparible iTunes prices for rental, AND in HD. So why hasn't it taken over the world?

For much the same reason Blu-Ray hasn't: it's priced higher than non-HD content, and there aren't enough people willing to pay more for it.

Why all the Blu ray hate?

I wouldn't call it hate; in my case, it's just that I own DVD's, I have DVD players, and the setup works for me. Blu-Ray doesn't bring anything to the table that I think is worth paying for, let alone paying more for.

Downloading movies is at least 10yrs from now if not longer.

Don't count on that. Think of all the things that are commonplace technology today that few if any people used of 10 years ago: iPods, text messaging, fiber-to-the-premises, plasma TV's, you get the idea. There's no reason to think that, from a technological standpoint, downloads won't get there, either.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006

You are confused. HD video does not have a higher dynamic range or anything special having to do with colour. Computer monitors are more properly calibrated than most HDTVs. Low contrast ratio doesn't mean that details are missing.

There is nothing special about HD video other than the fact that it has more pixels. The 17" MBP has enough pixels to display them all (and then some.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.