blu ray in mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by beppo, Jul 2, 2008.

1. beppo macrumors member

hi, i know that apple isn't shipping the mac pro with a blu ray drive but is it possible to put one in it after you buy it? and if so do you have to have a powerful graphics card to support it?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can use Blu-ray for data in OS X. You can't play movies in OS X. I believe the Mac Pro supports HDCP in Windows. Apple Cinema Displays do not support HDCP.

Oh, and there's the whole SATA power and SATA data issue. You need to get an IDE to SATA adapter for data, but recent Blu-ray drives come with a SATA power to 4-pin molex power adapter.

At least... my internal Blu-ray/HD DVD drive did.

3. swiss tony macrumors newbie

you can use the spare sata connectors on the mobo under the fan housing. Some guides kicking about on that.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

6. dchao macrumors 6502a

I think the problem is Boot Camp, there is no AHCI support for SATA drives or something. You might also have problem with VMware or Parallel.

The SATA to IDE converter is more compatible.

7. ZeelessOne macrumors member

It's kind of funny. Mac Pros can make Blu-Ray DVDs (video and data), but can't play them back.

Has anyone tried Blu-Ray playback in Windows on a Mac Pro though?

8. bcomer macrumors newbie

I have an LG HDDVD/BluRay drive in an external USB2 case and it plays movies under Vista 64 on my Mac Pro fine. If your display is not HDCP then visit www.slysoft.com for an application that will allow you to avoid non-play due to this stupid rule.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup, people should look into SlySoft AnyDVD HD if you want to play Blu-Ray disks on a Mac.

10. ZeelessOne macrumors member

It's not a stupid rule. It's what stops people from plugging a Blu-Ray player into a recording device for making copies. People have been warned about getting a non-HDCP monitor for many years now. If you don't have one by now, you made a poor purchase decision recently or it's time to upgrade.

11. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

It is a stupid rule because the end result is that people will throw out perfectly capable displays because they don't support HDCP. Very environmentally friendly.

12. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Or you have no need to use Blue-Ray... :)

13. Roy macrumors 6502

But it will help stimulate the economy every time you spend money and the government will get a piece of the action with each purchase.:D

14. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

And this is part of the reason why piracy continues beyond people not wanting to pay. Now people are having to do "shady" things just to play the freakin' movies they purchased. Give me a break!

15. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

It's a stupid rule because pirates easily overtook it, but people who may otherwise buy BluRay decide not to because they'd have to 1) buy a new OS, 2) buy a new monitor, just to use their bluRay drive.

If they want to put in DRM, great, just realize BluRay overtaking DVD will be pushed back around 5 years as a result, and by the time it does, all the pirates will have conquered the platform.

When will they learn that most of these DRM policies only affect and annoy non-pirates. Also, judging from the ridiculous prices on BluRay movies, they're cutting themselves out of serious profits by raising these fixed costs so high.

16. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Pirated Blu-Ray 720p/1080p movies are commonly available on the torrent and P2P networks. HDCP is a complete joke.

If thieves really want it, they will do what it takes to get it. Security only stops casual thieves looking for an easy target.

17. aygie macrumors regular

Apple really needs to get on this, on the Board if Directors for the BDA and nothing!

They should stop pushing their ATV agendas and give everyone the choice - Blu-ray or Digital Downloads.

(Problem is they know DD isn't ready for mass market yet)

18. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

The people who pirate this stuff will always find a way. It just makes life harder for average folk.

19. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

honestly, i care less about the BR.

I care about the video card, ram and processor, etc, not the optical drive(s).

20. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

The optical drive is only the reader. The 25/50GB of storage and 1080p full HD movies are what matters.

If Apple is just going to ignore BR like this they shouldn't have been on the BR board in the first place.

21. aygie macrumors regular

Exactly.

22. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I was thinking about putting a blueray drive into my mac, but I think I'm just going to wait until they start to ship with them for Apple.

23. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Yea, it's best to wait until Apple starts shipping them. It's bound to happen. Apple tried ditching the drive with the MacBook Air, and reception to that particular decision has been overwhelmingly negative. People like their optical drives.

Hopefully Snow Leopard will be HDCP compliant.

24. aygie macrumors regular

There were rumors that Apple wanted to put a BD drive in the latest revision of the MBP but Sony's drives nailed the battery life too much. And we all know how Jobs loves the battery life :D

Does anyone else remember the Blu-ray and HD-DVD TS settings in the DVD player before Leopard was released? I've got a feeling that Apple could turn this on whenever they wanted :(