Blu-Ray, iTunes and DVD's

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hand of Ike, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Hand of Ike macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am going to replace the optical drive on my iMac with a Panasonic UJ-265 Blu-Ray Writer drive. I know that to watch and Burn Blu-Rays I will need additional software but as the drive also burns CD's and DVD's will I be able to burn iTunes playlists via iTunes to CD and burn to DVD by right clicking on a folder and using the 'Burn "****" to Disc...' command?

Many thanks

2. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I would think if the drive is capable, then yes.

3. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

You already got your answer. Yes, it will work so long as the drive is compatible (which in most cases it should). It was pretty plug and play with the ASUS Bluray writer I got. Didn't need to add Toast to burn directly to the disc as an info disc.

4. Hand of Ike thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

There is very sketchy info about what the drives can or can't do, so I felt it best to ask...

5. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

While on the topic of optical drives, is there nothing better than "Burn" as CD/DVD/BD burn application ?

Coming from a PC, I would love to see something like e.g. ImgBurn for Windows.

6. Hand of Ike thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm no expert but I know that Toast is available for Mac, which is expensive but I'm led to believe that there is a striped down version that is cheaper. I also think NERO is available on Mac which I used to use when I had a PC.

I'm sure others can give you more detail though.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I'd suggest to get a simple external exclosure to test the drive out first. If it works by USB, then it should in theory also work fine internally. And you can get really cheap external SATA to USB connectors for almost no money (I bought one for ~15$)

8. Hand of Ike thread starter macrumors newbie

I have one of those and will test it, just wanted to find out as much as I could before I ordered it... I'm currently running a new SSD drive from the SATA cable which I will be installing internally and I'm going to fit the new optical drive at the same time....

Thanks for your info!

----------

These are some suggestions for Mac

http://alternativeto.net/software/imgburn/?platform=mac