Blu-ray Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stephenc92, Sep 10, 2007.

1. stephenc92 macrumors regular

stephenc92

Well back in 2006 people thought Apple would have Blu-ray in their computers by Q3 2006. It's now 2007 and we still see DVD writers in Macs :mad: When is Apple bringing Blu-ray to the Macs. I suspect mac pro will be the first to receive this update. But it would be nice to have it in the MacBook Pros.

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

The drives are still about $600. I would say after Christmas for Blu-Ray Macs.

Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure, but there are external drives that have Mac support (at least I thought I saw one or two pass by these forums).

3. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

At this moment still more dvd's are sellen then blu-ray and i know apple choose for blu-ray already, but what i hddvd becomes the one and blu-ray dies, than theyt have a problem with everyone who bought a blu-ray i think this is something for mid 2009

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i for one couldn't care less if they never appear, as far as they go for movies id rather stay on the online route, easier and 'potentially' cheaper, and for backup HD is the way, i rarely use the dvd drive on my imac since i bought it. I hope no-one wins the HD disc war and we skip straight to downloads. But im sure they will be an option for you after leopard is out.

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

An Blu-Ray upgrade would require a graphics card refresh wouldn't it? In order to play protected Blu-Ray in the future?

6. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

If anything, Apple would probably have it as an option instead of the SuperDrive. But it would be like a 5-700 dollar add on.

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Apple was a pioneer with the SuperDrive. At the time, DVD writable drives were very expensive and practically no major manufacturer bundled them with their computers. However, HD disc formats are different story.

Until a standard is decided, I don't think you will see much in the way of either format from Apple. As of now, Apple only supports HD DVD content authored with DVD Studio Pro burned on regular DVD.

8. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Do *any* of the PC brands include Blu-Ray drives as standard or even BTO options?

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

More likely it would require an OS with DRM support. I believe Sony and Toshiba are now shipping PC's / Laptops with Blu Ray / HD?, but they are very expensive.

Sony Vaio:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...Id=-1&categoryId=27835&parentCategoryId=16154

Toshiba has an HD-DVD laptop selling and Samsung also has a Blu Ray laptop

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its ridiculous that they still sell drives without DVD-RW, they should make the current SuperDrive the Combo, and make the SuperDrive a Blu-ray option in some Macs...

11. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I'm waiting for a blue ray player too. I was a hi-res 17 inch MBP so I can take advantage of a blue ray player! I think I might dual screen with a 30" ACD too... SWEEEET....

TS

12. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well you can get internal SATA BluRay readers for £130 (probably about $200). Of course you won't be able to play movies on them until Leopard comes along.

As for HDCP (DRM) issues, well PowerDVD works just fine on the PC over an analogue connection (VGA/component), but won't work over DVI/HDMI unless your graphics card supports HDCP. Although I am not sure if this DVI/HDMI restriction is required or just put in there by PowerDVD to keep movie studios happy.

On the PC, all ATI HD series cards support HDCP and most Nvidia 8600GTs also do. But I don't know if Apple has included this feature in current MacBook Pros/iMacs with those GPUs.

13. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

So it would take Leopard supporting Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, a new graphics card (to do it over DVI which is what we'd want anyway), and would we also need displays that supported HDCP? I vaguely remember reading something that in the future you'd need that but now no Blu-Ray/HD-DVD are taking advantage of the display requirement? Or am I way off?

14. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

it seems like there needs to be a clear winner in the HDDVD/Blu-Ray war before apple starts putting them in their computers.