Blu-ray movies onto iPod?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by monke, Dec 25, 2008.

1. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Is it at all possible right now to put blu-ray movies onto an iPod? I'm not expecting HD quality, but I just want to be able to watch my blu-ray movies on my iPod.

Quite obviously a Blu-ray drive would be needed, but I need to know if its possible before I buy the drive.

Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you rip it using AnyDVD HD in Windows, then convert it to mp4 using any number of tools, then possibly, but it's a lot of hassle.

Or if the movie comes with a Digital Copy.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes - for some. See the ATV and HT forum for a thread on BR to ATV. If Handbrake can open the rip, then you can use its iPod (or any other) preset.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Is there a point? It is still going to be played with a tiny screen (in comparison to full HD resolutions). Just watch any old SD movie and also watch a blu-ray disc you ripped. It'll be the same.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The point is, if you own a Blu-ray player you don't have to go out and buy both the Blu-ray and DVD Video discs of the same title. That would be wasting money.

6. wareupdater macrumors newbie

7. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Thanks, I didn't know that digital copies came with blu-ray discs (hadn't had one before) and then opened the Dark Knight to find a digital copy. They work slick!

Exactly. After opening the Dark Knight, I opened Step Brothers and it didn't have a digital copy and was disappointed. Digital Copy should be standard at this point.

Great, thanks!

8. sansa11 macrumors member

I opened the Dark Knight DVD, but found that I had to pay for the digital copy.:(
    It should've been free since I already paid for the DVD.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's plain stupid.

10. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Very nice! A well constructed and productive comment! :rolleyes:

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I meant the part about having to pay for it, why on earth would the studio do that?

12. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

I don't really care, but I was also under the impression that the digital copy comes WITH the Blu-Ray purchase, isn't that what they say on all the commercials? I guess I wasn't really paying close attention to how they worded it. How much extra is this digital copy? And I too understand that the studios are there to make money, and will do everything in their power to do so. ;)

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Although, he did say DVD. I haven't had to pay for any Blu Ray based digital copies.

14. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Ahhhh, I see. That makes sense. :)