Blu Ray mp4 encoding on a Mac...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nhouse, Jan 6, 2009.

1. nhouse macrumors newbie

So, I set out to rip Blu-Ray titles for playback on my appletv.

What I have done so far.

Realized that blu-ray ripping is currently only available on windows. Tried, parallels, virtualbox and fusion and only had success with fusion for the mere fact of drive pass thru capabilities are needed and those features are not yet implemented in parallels or virtualbox.

I setup a xp virtual machine, installed anydvd, extracted the video files from the blu-ray title and was using ripbot264 for encoding. The seem to come out alright. I am still playing with the settings. I would like a dolby pro logic 2 audio encoding in them, though don't believe this is a feature yet in this software title.

I found that cyberlink powerdvd doesn't let you install their blu-ray player via virtual machine and was not able to watch the movies until I had encoded them. I also found that fusion has dual processor emulation support though, when watching my activity monitor, both processors being used are never maxed out. It is always either one or the other. I'm not sure if this is a winxp issue or a fusion issue.

I was also having issues with audio skipping or dropped frames though, I had to play the movies via boxee so they are not using the video card to decode the h264.